Jossum

Interface Design

Hello.

This is going to quite vague but here goes!

I'm currently doing a HCI (Human Computer Interface) module at University and we have to design a CCTV interface - only the interface.

We have been given:

2 monitors - to display the cameras however we like

1 control console

5 cameras around a home

3 motion sensors

Views from the cameras are displayed by the homeowner (browsing), or when the motion sensors are triggered (alerts), displayed automatically.

The interface design should be quick and intuitive with minimum or no text entry.

My question is this:

In an ideal world, could you tell me how you would like the interface set out?

If you have any links to interfaces you use already (bewator, vista, etc) that would be much appreicated!

Of if you can give me any futher tips, advice or need some questions answered please let me know. I'm a relative newcomer to the CCTV world I'm afraid!

Many thanks,

Ross

Hi Ross, and welcome..

First question is what is "bewator" and "vista"?

Also when you say interface, are you building a DVR or Multiplexer?

Or just looking to write the GUI software for it?

Rory

Rory, Vista is a product brandname for a security products distributor in the UK called Norbain. They have a OEM'd version of the GE DVR for instance called the Vista Columbus, and Bewator is another security products distributor in the UK. OEM'd products make up a good portion of their product offerings.

Cheers guys.

I am only concerened with the GUI, how it will look and how the user will interact with it.

Hope that helps a bit more

There are more than plenty of example gui's to take reference from, but my suggestion is thta you keep in mind that it is often handy to use one button to do several things or havea hidden panel that can pop out, this gives a clean looking interface and takes fear away as attention is drawn only to the area you need them to concentrate on.

You still need to control something with the GUI. What piece of hardware is intended between the Human Interface and the camera end of things ? Is it a PC on its own, a PC controlling a video server... ?? Ross, I take it that you mentioned Vista because it is readily available to you and you may be based in the UK ? The RS-232 serial control protocol for the Vista Columbus DVR is open source and it's relatively easy to produce a PC based control panel in VB code (I can send you an example). All you need is to link the 2 monitors to the DVR output. The latest version of this DVR also has a web server component (activeX) that is also open source, where you can use IP for the viewing and control (Rory has coded a program called WaveVue?? for the original version of this DVR made by GE ... whats the link again Rory ?)

GUI design was major spark toward our success.

Simplicity is the key.

As mentioned it is a good idea to hide advanced features.

Beneath the surface needs solid mechanism that takes less resource and deliver image properly.

A few things to consider in building software.

Analog-> Digital conversion

Converted digital video -> Live feed with no loss of frame

-> Recording with no loss of frame

(Buffering has to be well considered)

Motion trigger : What scale of sensor grid? How to draw motion sensing zone? Pre- or Post- motion recording? CPU and OS handling? Time sync?

etc...

I will send snapshot of our GUI if you PM.

[/img]

The basic answer is look at the comman thread of GUI's in the industry and do it the opposite. Hiding advanced features from the user just makes sure the user will never use them. You are designing software for a PC. Don't reinvent the wheel.

You still need to control something with the GUI. What piece of hardware is intended between the Human Interface and the camera end of things ? Is it a PC on its own, a PC controlling a video server... ?? Ross, I take it that you mentioned Vista because it is readily available to you and you may be based in the UK ? The RS-232 serial control protocol for the Vista Columbus DVR is open source and it's relatively easy to produce a PC based control panel in VB code (I can send you an example). All you need is to link the 2 monitors to the DVR output. The latest version of this DVR also has a web server component (activeX) that is also open source, where you can use IP for the viewing and control (Rory has coded a program called WaveVue?? for the original version of this DVR made by GE ... whats the link again Rory ?)

Its a Remote Viewer, basically designed as a desktop application for remote live and playback. The newer software I did for the GeoVision is just a live viewer due to the ActiveX limitations, but much better overall. Here is the original WaveVue .. and yep its free. Works with any Kalatel or GE Security DSR, DVMRe, or StoreSafe (not StoreSafe 2)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/uploads/MSWVUE.ZIP

Cheers guys.

To clarify I'm ONLY concerned with the GUI. There will be no camera's connected and they will be simulated simply with .jpg images! Thanks for all your replys so far. It all seems to make sence.

I'll be back with a couple of questions soon.

Thanks again

For this hypothetical GUI, what can the software do? Are we talking basic recording or more advanced features? Who is going to use the software?

Basic rules: Video should always be on display. Selecting features may obscure video but I should be able to drag and drop my settings. If I'm not showing live then I'm showing recording.

Under ideal circumstances you shouldn't be looking at more then 9 cameras on one display. For more then that ponder multidisplay set ups.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0750678003/qid=1130956745/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7213212-4186467?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

If you can find that book via interlibary loan or other source, he has alot of referances to how humans interact with CCTV. (How much can a user handle, etc.)