Sign in to follow this  
t010203

CCTV with different infra-red frequency?

Hi all,

We have recently replaced a CCTV that covers a very dark part of our venue. There is a separate infra-red light pointing at this area to provide the CCTV with night vision. However this new CCTV doesn't seem to pick up any of the infra-red light provided by the light source. Our supplier assured us that the CCTV does indeed have the ability to pick up infra-red light but it's not working because our infra-red light source is a different frequency. Can someone please tell me what are the common infra-red frequencies used in CCTV night vision mode? Do they have to match exactly to the frequency used in the camera of they have a range?

Not sure if this helps but the CCTV is one of those dome shape ones that you can remotely turn and zoom. It contains a Sony image sensor.

Many thanks in advance.

ir cameras and leds usually operate in the 840-860nm range - these are the leds that you see giving a faint red glow. "invisible ir" usually runs around 940nm and standard cameras won't pick it up well, if at all. if you can't see the leds glowing, they're probably in this range.

your cameras needs to be a "day/night" type to work with any ir - if it stays in color all the time, chances are it won't work.

Thank you very much GrouchoBoucho

The separate led light we have does have a faint red glow so I assume it is the standard 840-860nm range. The camera seem to have a night mode, when it's in colour mode and I point it to a dark area, I can see the image suddenly change to grey/black and white. Can you please tell me why you think the new CCTV is not picking up infra-red at 840-860nm range and what solution would you suggest?

Many Thanks

Does Your camera have ICR (mechanically removable IR cut filter)?

Camera might just turn to b/w but it does not mean the filter is off.

Also what is the range from IR illuminator to the point of observation and what is the range from this point to camera?