Sign in to follow this  
julian924s

Outdoor IP dome camera in the UK

Can anyone recommend me an outdoor IP dome camera with infrared that can be purcahsed in the UK? I've got a budget of about £100 / $160 USD.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated. If the £100 limit means you just can't buy one for that price then I was going to look at an indoor camera with infrared - I've seen a DLINK DCS-932L which gets good reviews but have concerns about how infrared would work through glass - even if the camera is right up against the window does the glare stop it from working properly?

Thanks - J.

Infrared cameras are blinded at night looking through a window. BTDT. I went with a KT&C EXView B&W bullet for that job. Excellent night vision (.0003 lux performance) without needing IR so it peers through glass nicely. It's not an IP camera though.

That's a tough price point for an outdoor dome, especially in the UK where you may need one with a heater. If you can go up slightly, to maybe $600 there's some good dome choices.

OK, well I haven't got $600. I have been looking at other options hence considering an indoor camera but the potential problem with infrared and the glare from a window is a cause for concern. So how about a bullet camera, they seem to be much cheaper in comparison to a dome camera for whatever reason. How is the viewing angle on this style of camera - or does it simply depend on the lens being used?

@buellwinkle - a heater ... serious? The weather's not always great here, but I would have thought that an outdoor camera that is rated as such should be able to cope surely. Also if I were to fix the camera under the eaves or attached to the soffit boards that will also offer protection against the elements.

Thanks.

Hi take alook at the avermedia 1.3 mp camera if you are in the UK (not available in US) its around the £80 mark. runs on the aver software and remote viewing via iphone/android/ PC also has two way audio.

Thanks will take a look, actually just come across this one - Foscam FI8904W - which looks promising, it's within budget and get's good reviews. Has a 67 degree viewing angle which would be adequate.

Thanks again.

Thanks will take a look, actually just come across this one - Foscam FI8904W - which looks promising, it's within budget and get's good reviews. Has a 67 degree viewing angle which would be adequate.

Thanks again.

its a web cam 640 x 480.................. no contest against 1.3mp................ and forget about using IR cameras

Right ok I see. So resolution will be too low, do you happen to know what the model of Avermedia you are referring to is - is it SF1301? And why do you say forget about using IR in cameras? Forgive my ignorance but what about low or no light situations, isn't this how it works?

Thanks.

Dome cameras tend to be exposed more than other styles, so if it gets below freezing where you are then that's a consideration. Check the temp specs for the camera you are buying.

For a cheap bullet, check out the Dahua IPC-HFW2100. Just be under $200 USD, not sure how much by you. It's 1.3MP or 720P, built in illuminators, fixed lens but they offer choices. Step it up to more of a name brand, the ACTi TCM-1111 runs under $300 USD.

its hard to get something below this price

shipped would be the best part of £400 ($700) sorry there are lots of 1.3 and 2mp cameras about with big names cheaper