Sign in to follow this  
buellwinkle

Managed Switch

Every now and then, a camera needs to be reset but I'm not home to reset it so I was thinking of getting managed switch like this one where I can toggle power to the camera - ZyXEL ES2108PWR. Anyone have experience with this PoE managed switch or any other managed switch. I did look at Cisco, about the same price, but it has a 60w max, same issue I have with Trendnet with 30W max, runs out of power with 3/4 of the ports used while the ZyXEL seems to have full PoE on each port. Usually happens at night, the IR illuminators come and wham, mayhem, cameras crash.

the ciscos i've been using do max 15w/port up to half the ports, or 7w/port for all of them, never had a problem... but then i'm not running any ir. they do have models that do full power on all ports, but those cost more, of course.

but yes, it is nice to be able to toggle power to the cameras remotely.

I had Axis that needed to be reset on occasion and ACTi too. Mobotix and Dahua not so much as they both have a feature to reboot the camera on a schedule. The problem is they will work for a long time until the minute you step on a plane for a 2 week trip, then it fails.

I have used a bunch of the Cisco switches and not had any issues with the SF 302-08P which is probably the one you were looking at. I have several locations with all eight ports being used by ACTi and Vivotek cameras with IR and have never had any issues, but if yours requires more power then there is the SF302-08MP - The MP stands for max power and I think it's 124 watts?

I have several of these, and they have worked perfectly for me. I also use a lot of ZyXel switches, but I have never used one of their managed switches as I normally move to the Cisco ones when I need managed. Good firmware, they update it as needed, there are two firmware images so you can fall back to a known good configuration if you "tweak" something and it goes wrong lol.

I just ordered three more of the Cisco switch for myself two days ago, and six of the non-managed ZyXel switches so I must like them!

EDIT to add link to MP switch

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-302-08MP-Gigabit-Uplinks-SRW208MP-K9-NA/dp/B0044934UG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347626087&sr=1-1&keywords=SF302-08MP