Sign in to follow this  
Kaveman42

Need help deciding on DVR system

Today I purchased the Samsung SDE-5001N (http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/Detail/11/Samsung-SDE-5001N-16-Channel-DVR-Security-System) at $799 from Costco for a new home setup. I've been trolling this forum reading as much as I can in the past couple of days but I'm still not sure what I need. Im curious to know if this is a good setup for outdoor use. I noticed that most people reccomend Dahua but I'm not sure where I can find that in North America. Would I be able to get something better quality for the same price I paid? Here are a list of needs I have (that I can think of so far):

- 6 Channels

- 1080p resolution

- 30 fps (atleast for the driveway camera)

- 2 weeks of storage

- Motion detection

- Good night vision

- Water proof of course

- Between $500-900

Here is the layout of my house and how I was planning on setting it up. Feel free to comment on where else I should add one.

file.php?id=4067

The Blue lines are doorways

Thanks in advance

Untitled.jpg.07157e4a67d6ef7ee8596f93095f33c0.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hello Kaveman,

I am by far not as knowledgeable on this stuff as much as others here, but I can try to help.

In your your original post, you stated that you needed 1080p which is not analog. MP cameras will be over the budget that you mentioned.

Also, you mentioned that you need 30fps. Both the DVR's in the systems you posted will be 30fps in viewing mode. However, it looks like the Samsung only records at 7.5 while the Swann records at 30fps.

You want at least 6 channels, but only have 4 cameras in your picture. To leave room for more, I would look at a 8 channel. 16 may be overkill for your purpose.

Mostly every DVR will come with motion detection. How much saving capacity you will get will depend on the size of your hard drive(s), the recording frame rate and resolution.

I think you would be better off building the system yourself, and not purchase any "kits". Also look into cameras that are true day/night and don't need IR lamps to see in low light.

Thank you for the response snik. I decided to take the Samsung kit back and put together a system myself, as you mentioned. Seems like everyone prefers Dahua so thats the route I will take. The one question I have though is if I should go with a Hybrid DVR or Full IP NVR?

I guess that would depend on if you want to use any analog cameras with your setup. The hybrid will allow you to use MP cameras where you will want that extra detail but still give you the option to use analog which will be less expensive.