vash59

Deciding between defender or samsung maybe Dahua

Hi,

I'm looking to setup/install a home DVR security system. I am looking to install 6 outdoor cameras, and two indoor cameras.

The problem I've run into is trying to weed out what is quality and what is rubbish. I started to consider the Defender 21031 with their 600tvl cameras ( I have read up on the 480, 520 600 tvl debate), another was the Samsung SDE-4001 (I'll need to add another camrea) and this is up at the top of my budget for now, 800 or so.

I saw a few people here mention Dahua, I know nothing about them, I found some hardware on Amazon but no complete kit.

Essentially I'm really trying to catch someone who repeatedly dumps cans on my lawn, using that as an excuse to get the system, and will most likely put one in a bird feeder close to where the dumping is, and the rest around the house.

What have been the ultimate verdicts on the samsung cameras/hardware? Defender looks like more chinese no name cameras with a logo on them to me. Support also goes a long way, Samsung being a larger company (not necessarily the best) support should be good. I've had good luck with them in the past with a DLP tv which never ever worked and after 4 replacements they did refund my money. The cost of their hardware is higher I've noticed.

I realize this is a grey area and not widely talked about, most people do not get into home security enough to really take it on as a hobby, so anyone who is "into it" please feel free to comment/critique away, I'd like to make a purchase within the upcoming week.

Having stumbled across a link to security camera king, I have found a dvr/camera package that seems to offer better features than the samsung package I was looking at. Granted the cameras are not very sturdy (plastic) the dvr, Ultimate Mini Series D1, seems to be loaded with decent features. Hopefully the no brand name product actually functions properly and the company selling them, security camera king can back them up with support.

Would still love to hear from some veterans.

If you really want to catch someone I would pick up a few Dahua IP cameras you don't have to have a DVR. Just a computer with decent software like blue Iris $50 or Pss, comes free with the cameras. You can find a dahua IR bullet camera 1.3MP for $184 on ebay.

This is the Dahua 2MP dome camera that I bought for $184

201561_6.png

Here is the link for more about the dahua and how it compares to analog cameras

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32322&p=201570#p201570

Wow that image looks great! My wife decided to cut to the chase and just get something so we could start learning first hand. Good, bad or indifferent, it's been fairly enjoyable aside from me wanting to go out and put cameras all over the property now and second guessing myself about not going for full IP Cameras w/dvr but I digress it's just for the home and not a business.

She picked up a Q-SEE QT548 8 channel DVR with 8 QM6006B 600 TVL sony ccd cameras.

I made my own cables out of RG6 siamese and put dilithium grease around the rubber gasket and threads to keep water out for as long as possible. Overall It's helped me to narrow down a litterbug's time table in my neighborhood which was great. License plate acquisition would have been outstanding but for analog equipment I guess it's not possible.

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out why resolution is so poor when viewing live or via playback. Currently using a VGA monitor, the DVR does have HDMI out but does not scale well on the 55" sony SXRD.

Are all DVR's codec/compression the same or ar there differences? Trying to figure out if its the cameras or DVR or just the analog technology in general.

I did look at a SAMSUNG SRD-870DC and SRD-850DC unit as well but they don't seem to be any better resolution wise, at least they did not mention D1 like the Q-SEE did only to find it's "real-time D1 704x480" is not really true D1.

Right now I'm enjoying what I've purchased but have doubts/questions in my mind about if I should upgrade some cameras, get a varifocal cam and that would increase clarity/resolution or if analog is just not up to the task.

Properly done you can obtain a License plate with a quality analog camera.

I've put in quite a few costco/q-see systems for friends and clients.

Not my first choice, but you can't beat it for the money.

pyro

your wife bought 8 cam+dvr system for less than $400, what did you expect?

that even offending the 10 years old Chinese boy who assembled this crap.

we get license plates with analog all the time. MP is better but with a decent system and correct lens you get LPR.

Regarding your resolution issue, you most likely have 3.6mm 420 line bullet cameras with 23 IRs. Add to that you are losing resolution due to the compression your DVR uses to store data on the hard drive. Once compressed the data does not completely restore during play back, some is lost in the process. The frame rate may also be set too low. For best results choose the least compression and set your DVR to a higher frame rate.

You can always upgrade to better cameras later. Make sure to also upgrade to a better power supply. Q-see like to use a 12vdc 1A or 2A power supply with a little 4 camera adapter spider. Avoid the pre-made cables in favor of rg59/18-2 siamese. I'm not bashing Q-see. Its a good starter system for the money and the DIY guy. Their tech support is okay but you may have to wait a few minutes. Enjoy the weekend!

pyro

I've given up on the license plate cam. Totally overkill for the one incident, which has been rectified with local law enforcement patrolling at times caught on the current CCTV system.

Going forward, the DVR question I had originally is still not able to get a straight answer. Probably the old adage goes, garbage in, garbage out. I've purchased two different 700TVL Sony Effio-E cam's and while the clarity/image is much better, I've got a seperate issue now and that is the inaccurate colors from these cameras. First camera, blacks were blue and could not adjust. The new one has a OSD control but the picture is washed out. Red's are faded, and a dark navy blue shirt, looks bright sky blue. Adjust as I might, I can't get it corrected. Both cam's were around 100.00 each via Amazon, GW security and another viotek.

I'm about to get a hold of someone at an online store to see if their cameras are Dahua and if they've had issues with their cameras with regards to color.

What I find hilarious is that the so called "cheap" cameras that came with the Q-See setup I have, do a far better job in the color reproduction department than the two 700tvl Effio-E cameras I've purchased.

203150_1.jpg

Bout as good as I can get out of the setup I have. 700tvl Sony Effio-E analog camera on Q-SEE DVR (supposed full D1) Screen shot is not full D1, 352x240 instead of 720x486.

The couch is vibrant bright red, curtains are a light brown, floor is a honey golden oak. The pic/video as you can see looks like, well, crap.

Anyone know if Dahua's hybrid 16ch does full D1 and screen captures at full D1 resolution?

Go nuts and spend $100-150 on a decent camera. The image above is HORRIBLE. Even $65 CNB cameras have better coloring than that.