Sign in to follow this  
tmescan

Panasonic PTZ over the coax and wireless?

There's not any systems that I know of in analog that could do this. Even RS422/485 control in analog requires a separate transmitter and receiver for data.

What's the complete scenario, maybe I can suggest some options.

There's not any systems that I know of in analog that could do this. Even RS422/485 control in analog requires a separate transmitter and receiver for data.

What's the complete scenario, maybe I can suggest some options.

Industrial setting with existing panasonic/cameras/joystick/matrix and 3rd party dvr. Wanting to add a ptz at a new metal warehouse building (3/4mi away clear line of sight) and be able to integrate it with the existing system/joystick. Im guessing ill just have to get an additional trans/rec for the data? Thanks

I would imagine the matrix has a RS422/485 data output for PTZ control, and the camera has an option for hardwired data control, as well.

If this is the case, I did a similar setup with a Pelco PTZ using an IP encoder/decoder pair from Acti (ACD-2100 at the camera, ACD-3100 at the headend), and Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 wireless radios in a bridge configuration.

Your cost will be lower than Trango or similar wireless gear with separate radios for data, and there's less degradation of the image quality, and multiple sets of IP based radios can run in the same area with much less chance for interference (many channel selections and smaller bandwidth than analog radios).

I would imagine the matrix has a RS422/485 data output for PTZ control, and the camera has an option for hardwired data control, as well.

If this is the case, I did a similar setup with a Pelco PTZ using an IP encoder/decoder pair from Acti (ACD-2100 at the camera, ACD-3100 at the headend), and Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 wireless radios in a bridge configuration.

Your cost will be lower than Trango or similar wireless gear with separate radios for data, and there's less degradation of the image quality, and multiple sets of IP based radios can run in the same area with much less chance for interference (many channel selections and smaller bandwidth than analog radios).

Yes I definitely like the idea of being able to use Nano M5s (actually just installed a ptmp configuration with them today) for the wireless transmitting. I looked up the encoder/decoders and they look pretty simple. Did you experience much latency or any other issues with this setup? The panasonic equipment (ptz/joystick) is several years old Im worried about integration is the only reason I decided to use the same brand ptz as they had...how many 485 controls can a matrix usually support do u think? Thanks for the advice Ill go hunting for some good encoder/decoder prices.

The setup works quite well, the latency is greater than analog, but still not bad at all, and the adaptability and stability of the setup is very nice. I'm not too familiar with the Panasonic matrix, but it should allow addressing at least as many cameras as the matrix itself supports, if not more.

If you are familiar with setting up the Nanostations, you already have a big part of the problem solved, you just need to set up the encoder/decoder with unique addresses, point the settings of the decoder to point to the encoder address, and set the baud rate of data for control, and the DIP switches for RS422 or RS485 data.

The setup works quite well, the latency is greater than analog, but still not bad at all, and the adaptability and stability of the setup is very nice. I'm not too familiar with the Panasonic matrix, but it should allow addressing at least as many cameras as the matrix itself supports, if not more.

If you are familiar with setting up the Nanostations, you already have a big part of the problem solved, you just need to set up the encoder/decoder with unique addresses, point the settings of the decoder to point to the encoder address, and set the baud rate of data for control, and the DIP switches for RS422 or RS485 data.

Nice, im guessing you configure the encoder/decoder with a computer beforehand? Ive never set the nanos up without internet present (dhcp configuration/static ips etc)...do you match the encoder to the access point ip address then match the decoder to the station ip address? or do you just set the encoder to 192.168.1.1 Access point to xxx.2 Station xxx.3 Decoder xxx.4? appreciate the help thanks alot

Yes, each device needs it's own IP address, the simplest setup would be the .1, .2, etc, as you mentioned. the decoder needs to have the address of the encoder in it's settings as well, to know where to pull the data stream from.

The best setup for the Nanostations is WDS bridging, similar to the wiki article here, the WDS mode in this case allows the bridge to be a layer 2 type (transparent to the data flowing through it). http://wiki.ubnt.com/BeansTalk_PtP_Layer-2_Bridge_Direct

Just wanted to update as weve come to find that the acti encoder/decoder setup does not support panasonic ptz protocol. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

You could keep the encoder/decoder pair for video only, and use a separate set of RS422/485 to ethernet converters for the PTZ control over the same data link, here's a example that lists your type of application as one of it's uses. http://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/product_appl.php?id=16529

I tracked down a 485 converter at sennetech.net hopefully this will be a quick solution to use with the current setup

You could keep the encoder/decoder pair for video only, and use a separate set of RS422/485 to ethernet converters for the PTZ control over the same data link, here's a example that lists your type of application as one of it's uses. http://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/product_appl.php?id=16529

I tracked down a 485 converter at sennetech.net hopefully this will be a quick solution to use with the current setup

Are you planning to convert to Pelco protocol at the matrix, and set up the PTZ to accept that input format, or the other way around?

Are you planning to convert to Pelco protocol at the matrix, and set up the PTZ to accept that input format, or the other way around?

They have an old panasonic matrix that only accepts panasonic protocol...since the encoder/decoder setup supports pelco D/P Im going to set the PTZ to pelco and have the panasonic 485 converter at the matrix...definitely a learning curve when using panny products hopefully I can get them to upgrade in the future