Sign in to follow this  
FlashEngineer

What to use for 24/7 display monitor for cam output

Back in the days of CCTV cameras, it's easy just to run a RG-59/6 cable to a monitor/tv display to get output of a camera, say near the entrance or some crucial area.

So if I want to do this with IP camera, using blueiris as my nvr, what could I use? I don't want to setup a whole PC just to connect to the web portal for blueiris.

I spent a good bit of time wrestling with this, and the best bet I came up with was using an inexpensive tablet as a cam viewer. The cam I wanted to view used active-x, so that limited the selection quite a lot, and the tablet I tried didn't have a setting that would allow it to run indefinitely without going to sleep.

However, after using IP Cam Viewer Pro on the iPhone, I believe the best bet would be to get an Android tablet, in your budget range and in the screen size that works for you, that will run IP Cam Viewer (or any dedicated viewer that will run without going to sleep).

Mount that at your viewing point, connect directly to the camera on the network, and you should be good to go.

If you want to view BI directly, the tablet would have to be able to connect to the BI server, and that would have to be tested, but IP Cam Viewer supports a huge list of cams, and runs on lots of Android versions.

There's a huge selection of inexpensive Android tablets out there, and the one you choose only needs to be good at one thing.