n0fx

Vivotek IP8161 equivalent

I'm thinking of getting the Vivotek IP8161 2MP box camera for a front gate that I need installed. I was going to equip it with the Vivotek AE2000

housing, so that it would at least get a picture during the night hours. It's going to be used to identify who is trying to enter the house. (about 10 feet away from the camera)

I was wondering if you guys think that there is a better model from a different manufacture that might provide a better picture quality for less? I'm going to be hooking this camera up to the Nuuo Titan NVR. The ballpark range I want to spend is around $600 to $700 for the camera. I haven't used any other brand than Vivotek, so I'm not sure which is good. I've heard that the Arecont Vision's are slow in developing firmware for their cameras but other than that, I haven't heard anything else from any other manufacture.

Buellwinkle has a review of the 2MP Dahua at his website, and it looks much nicer than any Vivotek I've seen, especially at night.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=764

I have 4 1MP Vivoteks and just got the 1.3MP Dahua mini-bullet, and the Dahua beats the Vivotek in picture quality across the board. The software's not as flexible or mature as the Vivoteks, and I don't care much for the built-in mount, but it's a pretty good looking camera for the money. The 2MP demos look even better than the 1.3MP.

I have a couple of 5MP Areconts AV51XX series, and the software is pretty awful. They're hard to get the spec FPS out of, as well - I'm usually getting 5 fps max, and mine are speced at 9 fps. They've been nothing but trouble, though I do like the CS lens mounts.

Buellwinkle has a review of the 2MP Dahua at his website, and it looks much nicer than any Vivotek I've seen, especially at night.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=764

I have 4 1MP Vivoteks and just got the 1.3MP Dahua mini-bullet, and the Dahua beats the Vivotek in picture quality across the board. The software's not as flexible or mature as the Vivoteks, and I don't care much for the built-in mount, but it's a pretty good looking camera for the money. The 2MP demos look even better than the 1.3MP.

I have a couple of 5MP Areconts AV51XX series, and the software is pretty awful. They're hard to get the spec FPS out of, as well - I'm usually getting 5 fps max, and mine are speced at 9 fps. They've been nothing but trouble, though I do like the CS lens mounts.

Thank you so much for the link, I'll put that into consideration. I was reading about the Dahua IP cams but weren't too sure if they were good for the price. Are they cheaper than the Vivoteks or around the same ball park?

They're about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of Vivotek, depending. The HFW2100 1.3MP mini-bullet is $185 on ebay, and compares well to the $300 IP8332; the HFW3200 2MP bullet is $325. The Dahuas really shine in low light performance compared to the Vivoteks (speaking only for the 1.0/1.3MP cams; I don't have the 2MP cams yet).

I'm a big fan of solid, robust software, and the Vivotek is far better there, but the nighttime image quality of the Dahuas is pretty compelling for the money.

Here's a comparison between the IP8332 and the HFW2100. I'll be posting these pics on this board as soon as I get the time:

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=3217.0

They're about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of Vivotek, depending. The HFW2100 1.3MP mini-bullet is $185 on ebay, and compares well to the $300 IP8332; the HFW3200 2MP bullet is $325. The Dahuas really shine in low light performance compared to the Vivoteks (speaking only for the 1.0/1.3MP cams; I don't have the 2MP cams yet).

I'm a big fan of solid, robust software, and the Vivotek is far better there, but the nighttime image quality of the Dahuas is pretty compelling for the money.

Here's a comparison between the IP8332 and the HFW2100. I'll be posting these pics on this board as soon as I get the time:

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=3217.0

Do you know if they work with the Nuuo Titan NVR? I can't seem to find any capability with the HFW3200 on the list. I have a project I'm trying to do that uses the Nuuo Titan with some Mobotix cams. I was first going to use Vivotek cams but the FD8134's FOV is way too small, so I went to look for another Vivotek series with a varifocial lens but it ended being 3 times as much. I figured maybe I can go with something else already at that price range ($600~$700) that might be better.

Sorry, don't know Nuuo. I run Blue Iris, which supports lower MP Dahuas well, and Aver NV6240, which needed a little fiddling, but is working fine now.

Sorry, don't know Nuuo. I run Blue Iris, which supports lower MP Dahuas well, and Aver NV6240, which needed a little fiddling, but is working fine now.

No worries, I emailed the manufacture about it already. Waiting for a response. I'm really interested in these cameras, the pictures look great and price is good too!