Sign in to follow this  
FlashEngineer

Too many cameras?

How many cameras is too many? I was only going to put 2 cameras in the back yard but now I might need 3, but I feel I'm putting too many up.

Will this attract unwanted attention from thieves or neighbors?

How many cameras is too many? I was only going to put 2 cameras in the back yard but now I might need 3, but I feel I'm putting too many up.

Will this attract unwanted attention from thieves or neighbors?

Depends on what and where you're installing. It also depends on what your purpose for installing cameras is in the first place. For example, sometimes putting in cameras in clearly visible areas works as a deterrent. This is good for example, if you have high school aged kids who come on your property who know they're being recorded, may cut down on mischievous activity. Would be burglars who see a camera pointed at them on the approach to your front door, etc. may think twice about trying to break in. Putting a bullet camera on a wall can be easily knocked down with a stick or bat, so if you have people who are inclined to do such a thing, then install a vandal proof dome as high as possible (i.e., under the eave of two story house). If you want a more discreet profile, domes tend be less noticeable than bullets or box cameras.

Regarding the neighbor comment, do you have a home association policy about installing things on the exterior of your house that you're concerned about? Or just that your neighbors will think you're weird or paranoid for installing cameras? I have several domes installed on the exterior of my house and honestly, not one neighbor has said a word to me, so they either don't care, or they don't even notice. But my wife was concerned about the "reputation" we might get... screw that. I would rather be known as the paranoid guy, than not be able to have the necessary evidence if we were robbed, home invaded, or had an accident on our property where someone might try to wrongfully sue us (with a pool and high school aged kids, I'm always concerned about accidents and getting sued by irrational parents).

Well to be compliant to the wife, I opted to install all DOME type cameras, since they are more astetically pleasing and also less noticeable, plus the vandal proof thing. I saw the crazy ACTi video of a car driving over it, so that gives the thumbs up in my book. I use the ACTi's in the front and back since they are most visible to passing people.

I don't have any HOA policy that I know of, so I'm just more worried about the reputation thing and what people think etc. I don't want them thinking they are pointed at them, which is kind of hard to tell on domes unless you come onto the property. My Dad's home has like 4-5 cameras all at the front as well, so I guess this is where I get my camera craziness from.

Well to be compliant to the wife, I opted to install all DOME type cameras, since they are more astetically pleasing and also less noticeable, plus the vandal proof thing. I saw the crazy ACTi video of a car driving over it, so that gives the thumbs up in my book. I use the ACTi's in the front and back since they are most visible to passing people.

I don't have any HOA policy that I know of, so I'm just more worried about the reputation thing and what people think etc. I don't want them thinking they are pointed at them, which is kind of hard to tell on domes unless you come onto the property. My Dad's home has like 4-5 cameras all at the front as well, so I guess this is where I get my camera craziness from.

if you think 4-5 cameras is lot try 10 cameras i have dedicated micros ds2 dvr, keyboard joystick plus internet connection plus 4 speed dome high speed type mini domes

also depends on the quality of the camera. Can the camera surveillance your area clearly?

will have 10-12 cameras up when i am done, running on 2 nvr boxes with 3x 4tb hard drives in each with raid.

also depends on the quality of the camera. Can the camera surveillance your area clearly?
screen shot of the system i have, mini speed domes 700 tvl and 6 genie 5302 domes

cctv.thumb.JPG.700bc045015a15f6f0aa2c8db6c93394.JPG