Zark

How to wire day/night external trigger

I have several SSC-E473 SuperExwave color cameras that automatically switch from day to night mode when the lux gets low. By the time they switch, the image is really dark and basically useless. I need to externally, manually, trigger them to switch much earlier. (I have IR lights.)

I'm sure the instruction sheet supplied by Sony makes sense to you experienced people but I'm having a hard time with it.

It says:

Pin #1 External Control Output. Outputs the color and B&W switching signal.

Pin #2 COM Ground for External Control In/Out.

Pin #3 External Control Input (Accepts high impedance signals only) When H (+5V) is applied between this terminal and COM, color mode is selected; When L(0V) is applied, B&W is selected.

How do I wire this?

Thanks

Zark

Zark:

I would read it as pin #1 indicating the current color/bw state of camera relative to pin #2. Further assumption would be that using a meter a ~5 volt signal would indicate color mode, much less would be for BW.

To switch the camera to BW mode, it seems to indicate connecting #2 and #3 should do the trick.

You could put a meter on #1 and #2, during daylight, then cover the camera and check the readings. Once pin #1 is verified as to operation, then you could try connecting #2 and #3 together while watching what happens to #1 with a meter (and likewise the picture of course).

Be assured this is all speculation based on your posting. In other words, you are responsible if something starts smoking

Scott

It does have an adjustment for either 5 or 1 lux but it loses resolution/color at higher (dim) light levels. I need to see the subjects lit up on infrared if not using bright enough visible light. By the time the cameras switch, the picture has been very poor to useless. This is in a lab, recording video on seizure patients and the technicians turn down the incandescent lights to keep patients calm. So it would be fine to be recording the pts using infrared while all they see is low incandescent light. However, the doctors want good color when the lights are up. That's where I'm at.

thanks

I normally use Sanyo Day Nights with Infrared, they switch over quick. I use them with Extreme CCTV Uf100 and UF500s.

Only other thing to do is try what cold feet said above, Ive never hardwired them in but cant be that hard. You should be able to use a standard photo cell with switch output, like ones used for outdoor lighting.

Thanks to both of you.

I'll try it tomorrow.

[Has anyone out there installed these cameras?] Am I the only one using these things?

i guess, I dont know many people using sony cameras .. actually I dont know anyone at all.

That sony 473 day/night is actually a pretty good camera. It has Sony's new "Super-Exwave" chip in it which gives it its high (540 lines) resolution and low lux.

Zark

As ColdFeet has correctly suggested, connecting Pins 2 and 3 will switch over to monochrome. For manual changeover, use a simple toggle switch (which could be remoted a few metres away), or for auto, use a light level sensor switch. Be careful though as some light sensors are sensitive to Infra Red and you could end up with the camera changing back to colour when you really want mono.

A quick tip for you - if your Infra Red light source is man enough for the job, don't point it at the patient, but rather direct the light up towards the ceiling. You should get a much softer and more pleasing lighting effect.

Thanks for the replies.

I finally was able to speak with Sony tech support this afternoon and the guy said I had to use an external DC power supply and "apply +5 volts to pin #1 to switch modes. Pin #2 goes to earth Ground. Pin #3 will produce +5 volts when +5V is applied to Pin #1 so other cameras can be triggered on down the line. Pin #1 takes a TTL level, high impedance signal."

That's what he said. I had him repeat it to be sure.

Thanks

Zark

Zark

I think you are in luck. As I understand it, your only issue is forcing B/W mode earlier than the camera normally will. You'll only need a power supply if you want to force the cameras to color when they would normally be B/W.

Per his comments, connecting pin 3 of the 1st camera to pin 1 of the next camera and so on, should give you a chain that will switch to monochrome at your command. As Cooperman suggested, forcing pin 1 of the 1st camera via a manual switch would be a good start. Then if everything works, add an adjustable light sensor with a relay (low voltage dry contact type) to control connecting pin 1 and pin 2 of the 1st camera.

Good luck.

I turned off automatic mode change and placed a jumper between COM and pin #1 and it went into B&W mode. When I took it off, the camera goes into color mode. Since I only need one camera per room and they all will be recording different patients, I'll just run a control wire to a switch at the monitoring station.

Thanks for your ideas!

Another thought...to avoid having to run a switch, I like the idea of using an adjustable light sensor with a relay. Where, exactly, can I buy some of each and what should I buy?

Thanks

Z