videoVIP

Mounting cameras to a glass building?

does the building not already have lightning protection in the form of lightning rods? i don't think i've ever seen a large building that didn't have some sort of structures on the roof already, such as hvac units, elevator machinery, radio/cellular antenna arrays, etc. - are these not 'lightning magnets' as well? wouldn't they have some sort of associated protection?

I haven't been on the roof yet. The air handlers are at ground-level. I'm sure anything metallic on the roof is bonded, but there isn't anything visible/metallic on the outer edge of the parapet that would require bonding. I don't want to get involved with adding lightning rods, bonding, etc. if I don't have to.

i wonder if you could use something that just "clamps" over the parapet and provides a mounting surface below? kind of like those towel hooks that hook over top of your bathroom door. something made out of a sturdy plastic would be non-conductive and it would look better not sticking up above the roof line.

using a proper adhesive may work as well, after all, they work to hold car mirrors to their windshields, sometimes for decades. as for getting the wire to the camera, the panes of glass probably have some sort of soft seal between them, so you just need to find an appropriate seam to push through.

New guy here.

I am assuming the building is low enough for you to effectively parapet mount the PTZ because you are considering it as a possibility.

I just saw this thread and it looked familiar. I had a special folding mount made from steel for a PTZ on a building with a big round 2 foot radius edge moulding. Using a standard four bolt wall mount, I took it to a welding shop with the dimensions, which I cannot find. The shop welded up and painted a folding hinge mount that swung over that moulding when in use. It was secured by two 1/2 inch bolts when extended. It flipped back toward me for service. The bracket contained the wiring which was weather tight with fittings. Due to the extreme wind, it was made from 1/4 sheet steel with gussets. It was about 5 foot long total length including the wall mount and easy to flip. About $500 to the welding shop which included matching white electrostatic paint.