Hard working man

What do you think about face recognition based systems?

Access controll, attendance controll, visitors counting and etc.

I'm running a small sw development company and investors are insisting to increase the products range.

The budget for the new product is limited, so I'll have to choose.

Please give me your feedback. Can this products be demanded? Which one may be demanded more? May be other ideas? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

- Vladimir.

It is a VERY tough thing to get right with the level of accuracy that most people would expect. I have not used a ton of it, but I have evaluated several flavors and the best I could get was about 65-75% accuracy and that is just not good enough in my opinion.

The lighting conditions, hats, jackets, scarves, and a thousand other things make it just about impossible unless you have a checkpoint where people would specifically have to remove all that junk. I think the accuracy rate would increase with two cameras from opposite angles. You would not have a valid hit until both cameras have the same match. Of course the complexity and cost of developing a system like that goes up quite a bit too.

Honestly the only thing that comes to mind is a VERY low cost, and license free, VMS that could handle an unlimited amount of IP cameras (obviously you need to buy hardware to keep up). If you had a VMS that cost $200 or less and was able to handle the top 25 or 30 IP camera brands. I full realize the ridiculousness of that, but it would be awesome!