Sign in to follow this  
HostilePastry

Male/Female DC adapter VS Wall Mount Box

Just wondering if there is any big difference between using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AXDVUS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

And using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Output-Distributed-Supply-Security/dp/B000TBHBSO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353102397&sr=1-2&keywords=cctv+8+channel+power+supply

I will have 5 cameras total that pull 1 amp each. At this point, it is a matter of getting the right pigtails on the camera end - but at the power end, I wouldn't have to get pigtails if I used the wall mount power supply and just plug in each wire.

So, is there any benefit/downside to using one or the other?

the wall can has individual fuses for each channel. it also looks a lot more professional to have all the wires just run into the box, than to have the block and tails dangling on the wall.

I have some documentation that came with my system which suggests the splitters are best used completely full. I suppose an 8 way splitter with only five used might be ok, but I don't like those splitter things. And even though I don't use a power box at home, I don't like them either. Ground loops always seem to loom using them. In my home where I'm only pleasing me, I prefer to use separate power adapters per camera into a power strip. Not as tidy looking, but never a ground loop problem or glitch in years. I'm not saying to do as I do, but that's just what works for me.

I've used both. It all depends on the environment along with the type of cameras and their power needs. But, given the choice, I like to use power boxes instead of adapters. I've had several power adapters go bad, but never a power box - not even a blown fuse and I'm in Flordia where power surges and sags can be very common during the rainy season (which can be 7-8 months out of the year).