Sign in to follow this  
jharrell

Dahua ipc-hfw2100 Sharpie Halo Fix

I have been setting up my Dahua bullets from my Costco NVR kit and on the cam on my driveway was getting really bad ir reflection halo's for some reason, while the others seem to look great.

I think a read a post on here where someone said Q-See sharpied out the underside of the sunshade on their version (it's actually black paint). This did prompt me to try a real sharpie on the rest of the white painted face of the camera still exposed to the LED's and the results speak for themselves.

Before:

After:

Perhaps Dahua should invest in some sharpies...

Pic_20121120222704_1002_2.thumb.jpg.83499b6356b6a2906638a0026e763b69.jpg

Pic_20121120223803_1002_2.thumb.jpg.e05374456cce8c94e3a4561d0c01ff51.jpg

The ipc-hfw2100's Ive bough in the Uk have the underside of the shade painted black so no halos, maybe the Uk stock is newer and this is a new improved version

The underside of mine are painted black as well, however the black does not cover all surfaces, the half circle on the top half comes from the tip of the sunshade where the black painted ended a mm or two before the edge. The left shine come from the area where the sunshade meets the body that has no black paint. I sharpied everything left white on the front face of the camera not covered by the factory black paint.

Why didnt I think of that before? I went round and round repositioning my cam trying to reduce the halo. I have some black rattlecan. I might tape off the area really good and coat it.

What about using super thin sticky black felt/other material.

Not only would it reduce glare, it would actually absorb some of the light giving even better results.

Also, you'd want to make sure the fabric actually absorbs IR. Some black fabrics reflect IR, and make the problem worse.

I made a shade for one of my analog cams out of black plastic, and it lit up really brightly when the IR came on, washing out the view completely.