Sign in to follow this  
NotSoSimple

IPC-HFW2100 ~45 Second Lag?

When looking at the feed from my IPC-HFW2100, it seems to be about 45 seconds behind. It is worth using VLC to watch the stream, but still slow using the web console. Is this normal operation?

Use IE, PSS or dedicated mobile software for fast answer.

VLC connects to RTSP feed, which, sometimes and under certain conditions, can be slow.

so get a premium account?! 20 USD too much? or double check - some of the - links?

really, invested some 100+ for hardware and you wouldn't spend 20 for lifetime access to 3rd party, compatible software? where's your logic?

I just tested my HFW2100 and HFW3300C, and both had a lag of about 1.5 seconds. 45 seconds sounds pretty extreme to me. I can't imagine what would cause a delay like that unless your CPU is pegged out, which you'd probably have noticed.

This was on the IE web interface, VLC, and Blue Iris. My Vivotek FD8134 is about 0.5 seconds faster than the Dahuas.

My BI is on a dedicated PC, and I ran the VLC and the web interface on a utility PC; both are modest i3-540 boxes, one with 2G, one with 4G RAM, and Win7Embedded 32 bit.

Is it the same on multiple PCs for you?

Have not noticed a lag in the other PCs, but they are not as close to my gate which is what I monitor. The computer running the VLC stream is a C2D but I can't imagine it pegging out the CPU? I guess it is possible, but unlikely. I will do some more testing once the rain lets up and see if I can run through some scenarios. Your VLC stream, was it the primary or secondary?

I'm using the primary streams. I have secondary disabled on the 3300 for troubleshooting, but never use them anyway.

Distance shouldn't really matter much. One of my PCs has 4 switches and quite a bit of cable between it and the camera, and there's no appreciable extra lag. I'd be surprised if all the extra added a few tenths of a second.

If you ping the camera, your delay should be well under 100 ms on a local network, even going through multiple switches. If your network is adding tens of seconds of delay, you have a serious network problem.

Another easy test would be to connect a laptop to the HTPC network cable and see if it has little lag.

If your other PCs have less than 2-3 seconds lag, it sounds like the problem is in your HTPC. It may be underpowered; if C2D means Core 2 Duo, that's a bit on the slow end for MP cams, though it should be able to handle one cam ok, if there's not a lot of other stuff going on in the background.

It could also be the decoding in the PC end, if it's not a high priority task or if there's something else going on that takes resources, or if there's something in the HTPC that is juggling the signal (like unusual codecs). Not an easy thing to track down, unless you can use task manager or Process Explorer to figure out what's active while you're trying to decode the signal.

Not sure if this will help.

But I've seen lag incresaing from just a few seconds to 1 minute years ago. In my impression it was a dlink camera. It was the antivirus/firewall that causes the problem. I replaced that one with NAV and it solved the prolbem.