jasone

Installing 8 POE Cameras - NOOB question

Heads up: I'm brand new to networking, so go easy on me. I skimmed/searched the forum and didn't see this directly addressed. Let me know if I missed it.

I have a QC808 with 8 QCN-8001B's.

If possible, I would like to only have to drill a hole for 1 ethernet cable to go from my attic to my living room (where my QC808 sits).

The way I envision it: 8 POE cameras with 8 Cat 5 cables feed into an 8 (or possibly 2x four) port POE switch which would reside in my attic. I then would connect the POE switch (running 1 Cat 5 cable from my attic through the wall) into my living room to my router. My router would be connected to my QC808 via ethernet.

Would this setup work? Am I missing any steps in here? If I buy 2x four port POE switches (instead of an 8 port) to save money, will that work? Any and all details would be appreciated. Super bonus points for a diagram. Thanks!

Jason

Yes yes and yes. how many bonus points do I get?

No problem in getting two separate 4 channels POE switch but you won't save much. the less parts you have the less failures you'll get.

The nicest thing in networking is that as long as it's all networked things will work

but the way you plan it should be ok.

Just as a hint... If you expect to connect the 8 cameras to something else, you will not have enough with a 8 port switch or 2x4 port switch, you will need at least one extra port.

Just as a hint... If you expect to connect the 8 cameras to something else, you will not have enough with a 8 port switch or 2x4 port switch, you will need at least one extra port.

Most 4 port POE switches that I found are actually marketed as 8 port POE switches (4x POE, 4x non-POE), so no issues with extra ports.