Liber8or

Samsung SDE-120N - Firmware and IP Cam Viewer Pro (iOS app)

I am using IP Cam Viewer Pro v1.8.3 for iOS on my iPhone 4. I have a Samsung SDE-120N DVR, which is supposedly compatible with this application. However, any time I try to add a camera from the DVR, it returns "Error: Could not retrieve data." The port configuration is all set up correctly, and verified.

The developer has put it a few hours remotely accessing my DVR to troubleshoot the problem, which was somewhat of a mystery to him because he seems to think I have old firmware. I figured I'd start this thread for anyone who might need this information later.

The rub is that there is no published firmware updates for the SDE-120N, according to the Samsung support sites. I have not contacted Samsung support yet. Tonight I took a leap of faith and downloaded "SDE-3170_3002_V1.02_101119.zip" from Samsung's site. It's designed for the 3000-series DVRs, but I foolishly decided to try it (although I did no further harm).

The "SDE-3170_3002_V1.02_101119.nbn" file was extracted from the ZIP and placed on a thumb drive. The thumb drive was pushed into the front of the DVR and through the DVRs menu and it located the firmware and performed the upgrade. First a progress bar appeared, which went all the way to the right and maxed out for several minutes before the upgrade was complete. A beep was heard, it rebooted.

I am using the VGA output of the DVR for monitoring. The boot screen is now jacked up (as you can see in the image), but once the DVR came up, there seems to be no other impacts from the alternate firmware update. However, the upgrade, brought the DVR to V1.02_101119 from V1.01_100720 on the system information screen.

I have emailed the developer to advise him the firmware was upgraded (although I have no idea if it has any effect when upgraded with the binaries intended for a different machine). More to come as the situation unfolds; hopefully this helps someone later.

206582_1.jpg

I should have mentioned, a good friend's father has the same DVR model, and the IP Cam Viewer application works well for him. I have made a request for him to inspect his father's DVR and report to me the firmware version in use.

UPDATE: No response yet from developer on situation now that firmware has been upgraded.

EDIT: I emailed a friend, and he successfully set up the cameras on his Android version of the same app with no issues. It appears to be isolated to iOS.

RESOLVED

So, after communicating with the friend who has successfully used this DVR on his Android device, I gave him test credentials on my DVR. He set it up successfully and sent me his configuration. The trick: apparently the RTSP driver just altogether doesn't work for either device. All along, he has had his phone set up as HTTP, which essentially just downloads images at a rapid rate, as I understand it. In order to get the option to use HTTP, instead of RTSP, you must select "Samsung SME DVR" instead. Once that was selected, and the connection details entered, it worked. See images below (please note, in the third image, I recognize it says port 8888, but that was not the port I was using all along for RTSP testing; I just made the screenshot in a hurry):

Image 1: Working Cameras

207880_2.png

Image 2: SME Settings including HTTP option

207880_3.png

Image 3: SDE Settings which allow only RTSP

207880_1.png

Old thread, I know...

But, just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting the info within (app for iPhone).

I've been using the Samsung Smartviewer Mobile 1.0 for a couple of years on our iPhones (4 & 4S). When I purchased my wife her new iPad Mini this past Feb, and d/l'd the same Samsung SVM1.0 as a new install, it no longer works once it's downloaded. However, the same installed ap still works flawlessly on our phones (even after multiple iOS updates), but I believe it's because we d/l'd the working version way before some glitch has corrupted the one in the ap store.

I d/l'd the app tonight that you had posted about (IP Cam Viewer Pro v1.8.3 for iOS) onto our iPads (2 and Mini), set up the parameters within the app exactly as you said - and those params work for our Samsung SDE3000N system! ***BINGO! It works perfectly on the iPads and looks great too, even with a much larger screen!!

Also note, our SDE 3000N is still operating on it's original firmware as well and we've had the sytem up and running for the last 4 years now - so that Cam Viewer app does work well!

Just another note:

The Samsung "iPOLIS" app SUCKS.... it won't work for the SDE 3000N no matter how the app params are set up. I've also seen and read about many others complaining about this app as well, even those who have newer Samsung DVR setups.

I'm just so glad I came across your thread and the app you have posted about.

Big thanks (even though this thread has aged)!

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

Awesome! Glad it helped. I love to use the app on my iOS devices. The iPad screen looks great, especially propped up on the case. My iPhone also handles it well, even over 3G. I sometimes set it up at work on my desk; I get lots of questions.