ipv6boy

IP or Analog based system? & Camera recommendation

Hi all,

I was hoping to get your advice regarding the choice of surveillance camera's for my requirement. I need to be able to identify a persons face, or car license plate approximately 10 meters away from the camera's position. This is the case for both day & night. What camera's/specification do you recommend for this application?

Also, I have been debating whether to purchase an IP based system or analogue system. If my aim is picture quality for both day and night, which system do you recommend, and why?

Thanks for your help.

IP is going to give you a higher resolution and more detail. What is your budget and how many cameras are you estimating?

I'm estimating four cameras at this stage. My budget is between 1-2k.

Also, what NVR do you recommend? I've been looking at the VS-2004L/8L range.. Any thoughts on this product, or alternatives?

Thanks.

Another plus of IP cams is that you can upgrade the camera resolution if you need to, while analog will always be stuck at its standard D1 resolution. That is, if you start with 1.3MP cams and decide you need 3MP in one position, this is a quick and easy switch if your recorder will support it. Changing NVR software is also relatively quick and easy.

IP cams tend to have less low light capability than expensive analog cams. IR can help get around that, but there are pros and cons to IR as well. I've replaced all my analog cams with IP cams from 1MP to 3MP, all with built-in IR, and the images and coverage are much better.

If you go IP, you should look into the trade-offs between dedicated NVRs and PC based systems. A quick search of this forum will turn up many discussions on this.

If I wanted to set up a 4 camera system from scratch with that budget, I'd consider 4 Dahua HFW2100 1.3MP cams, a modern Intel i5 based PC, an inexpensive POE switch, and Blue Iris software. If BI isn't pro-grade enough, there are a lot of other options, though they tend to cost more. Most software NVRs have demo versions available to check out.

I will advice you to buy IP based security camera because I am also using it in my home for security. The speciality of these security camera is that you can access the security of your home anywhere.

I will advice you to buy IP based security camera because I am also using it in my home for security. The speciality of these security camera is that you can access the security of your home anywhere.

Ummm, you can also access analog from anywhere.................