ChuckM

Need info/recommendations about cards, brands, dealers

First, thank you for creating this forum. So far, it's the only place I've found online for objective advice about DVR systems. It's clean, well-organized and easy to navigate.

Although I am not a PC or technical professional, I have been assigned the task of doing the preliminary research for upgrading my company's video security system. I have been browsing the Internet to learn about the basics of DVR cards. (If I read anymore at this point I think my head is going to explode )

I am confident that our PC-Support department can build the required PCs (I'm assuming a Win2K-based system, since that's what we use on almost all of our PCs), so I am at the point of deciding which brand and fps rate DVR card to go with, and which retailer to contact. I have several questions.

First, some background:

Our video surveillance system for a six-story office building/plant area. The cameras (all B&W) are mostly inside, in the stairwells and elevator areas, but also cover the lobby and parking garage gates. Our current system uses three VCRs, each with a multiplexer. They record "24/7". Each VCR is set to record 18 hours/tape, but we switch-out the tapes every 12 hours. Each multiplexer is maxed-out with 16 cameras, so we currently have a total of 48 cameras (at this location), but we want to add more. We do not use or need audio recording with our system. We keep our VCR tapes for 30 days before re-using them.

We seldom have any security problems that require us to go back and view a video tape, but the few times that we've had to it has been very time-consuming to find the right moment on the video tape, and even when/if we do, the recording rate is so slow that the exact moment of interest may not have been recorded.

Based on what I've learned so far...

To support the current 48 cameras, we'll need at least three PCs, each with a 16-input DVR card. My understanding is that a 16-input 30-fps card would give us only about 1.8 fps/camera - if all the cameras are actually recording at the same time. I assume we will use the motion-detection feature of the cards so we aren't constantly recording from each camera. Still, since the whole point of this project is to UPGRADE (to something that will last for many years), I'm thinking we should get at least 60-fps cards, preferably a 120-fps cards. Any thoughts/comments on this?

Regarding brands of card, I've found the following (each claiming to be the "most advanced", of course): GeoVision, TAI Labs, G-Max (sold by skywaysecurity), Bolide, and AVerMedia. Also, there is a company called dvrcards.com that sells its own "professional" brand, which they claim is better than the "economy" GeoVision or TAI Labs cards they sell.

My main concerns are hardware compatibility, ease-of-use, and reliability. I've read good comments in this forum about GeoVision cards. I'd appreciate any input/comments on other brands.

I also have a question about video compression formats. The most common combination seems to be "wavelet" or Mpeg-4, but some brands offer JPEG. Any comments on this?

Also, the software for the various brands of cards all seem to offer the same features. Any comments on which company's software is the most

reliable and user-friendly? Also, which companies provide the best documentation and offer good support for their products?

Question about PAL v. NTSC (forgive my complete ignorance on this one): I've read that the fps is affected by whether you are recording in NTSC

or PAL. What determines which type of signal (NTSC or PAL) a system records in? Is it based on the type of video display monitors and/or

cameras being used? Since I'm in the U.S., can I assume that our system records in NTSC? Or, is there some setting in the DVR card software

that allows you to choose which signal you want to use?

Which retail suppliers have you had good experiences with? Which would you steer clear of? Finally, do you know if there are any suppliers that will allow a potential customer to "demo" a card for a short time to see how well the card performs?

All suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hello Chuck welcome to the forum. How did you find it by the way?.

It sounds like you are in the same position I was in about a year and a half ago. I had to put a system together and I had to search for weeks trying to piece together information to make a decision. Mind you I have only installed the one system so I can only tell you information based off the what I am currently using.

Alright, you are going the PC DVR Card route.

Cards:

Geovision: I currently use this card. It has been solid for 18 months. Geovision comes out with updates about every three to four month that add more features to the software. They come out so often that I am currently 2 versions behind.

TAI Labs: Never used them but I think someone commented about them in another thread on this forum.

Bolide: Never heard of them but remember I don't install systems full time.

AverMedia: Never heard of them either.

G-Max: I went to their site. I would bet that this board is a rebranded Geovision. Im' guessing but the specs sound very similar. "Watch Dog" technology is also a term used by Geovision.

DVRCards.com: I saw this site too when I was looking 18 months ago. At that time they did not sell Geovision, I wonder what made them start selling them?. The prices for their "professional" boards were to rich for my blood even though I was not spending my own money. Their boards may very well be better but unless they offer me one for testing, I'd go with the "economy" Geovision any day on price alone. I mean this is for surveillance not MTV Videos, MPEG4 has a very good picture.

For 16 cams per card I would go with a minimum of 120fps. Let me mention that any of the cards above will beat the picture you get on tape any day. Digital is better. Another thing to mention is that when you play a recorded video back, it will not be full scene like your tapes on a television. I get a small 5 by 6 inch video when viewed on a monitor at 1024x768. I’m not sure if there is a way to get full screen or not.

Computers

This is where you want to spend the money in my opinion. Make sure to build server class computers with proper cooling and ventilation. I lost a hard drive due to heat. These things will have to run 24/7 build them solid. As Rory and DVR_Expert have mentioned in other threads, make sure you get surge protectors and a UPS.

It sounds like you are going to keep your current cameras?.

Please keep posting your questions/updates here. Everyone would be interested to know how this turns out for you.

If you want ease-of-use, and reliability, and not to worry about hardware compatibility, i suggest you go with a non PC based DVR system. If you have 48 cameras then I i,agine they want a very good system.

Look at Kalatel's DVRs. They are all in ones. They connect to he LAN also.

I have 8 cameras with a 320GB doing 28 days recording. @ 5pps. it is using motion recording, and its in a 24 hour gas station. you could get 28 days on your 16 cameras then if you are only open during office hours. You can always add more space using additional digital storage device called DVSe from Kalatel.

They are more expensive than PC based but it depends what you want. They are basically maintenence free. The simplex DVMRe 320GB would be the cheapest, Triplex version is nice for playback features (playback while stil recording) but if you would be using your LAN connected PC to play it back then just get a simplex. There are also SDVRs which go up to 250Gb and are cheaper with built in CDRW, or if you could just add a single channel DVR if you want to just upgrade your currect VCR.

Rory

First, thank you for creating this forum. So far, it's the only place I've found online for objective advice about DVR systems. It's clean, well-organized and easy to navigate.

Although I am not a PC or technical professional, I have been assigned the task of doing the preliminary research for upgrading my company's video security system. I have been browsing the Internet to learn about the basics of DVR cards. (If I read anymore at this point I think my head is going to explode )

I am confident that our PC-Support department can build the required PCs (I'm assuming a Win2K-based system, since that's what we use on almost all of our PCs), so I am at the point of deciding which brand and fps rate DVR card to go with, and which retailer to contact. I have several questions.

First, some background:

Our video surveillance system for a six-story office building/plant area. The cameras (all B&W) are mostly inside, in the stairwells and elevator areas, but also cover the lobby and parking garage gates. Our current system uses three VCRs, each with a multiplexer. They record "24/7". Each VCR is set to record 18 hours/tape, but we switch-out the tapes every 12 hours. Each multiplexer is maxed-out with 16 cameras, so we currently have a total of 48 cameras (at this location), but we want to add more. We do not use or need audio recording with our system. We keep our VCR tapes for 30 days before re-using them.

We seldom have any security problems that require us to go back and view a video tape, but the few times that we've had to it has been very time-consuming to find the right moment on the video tape, and even when/if we do, the recording rate is so slow that the exact moment of interest may not have been recorded.

Based on what I've learned so far...

To support the current 48 cameras, we'll need at least three PCs, each with a 16-input DVR card. My understanding is that a 16-input 30-fps card would give us only about 1.8 fps/camera - if all the cameras are actually recording at the same time. I assume we will use the motion-detection feature of the cards so we aren't constantly recording from each camera. Still, since the whole point of this project is to UPGRADE (to something that will last for many years), I'm thinking we should get at least 60-fps cards, preferably a 120-fps cards. Any thoughts/comments on this?

Regarding brands of card, I've found the following (each claiming to be the "most advanced", of course): GeoVision, TAI Labs, G-Max (sold by skywaysecurity), Bolide, and AVerMedia. Also, there is a company called dvrcards.com that sells its own "professional" brand, which they claim is better than the "economy" GeoVision or TAI Labs cards they sell.

My main concerns are hardware compatibility, ease-of-use, and reliability. I've read good comments in this forum about GeoVision cards. I'd appreciate any input/comments on other brands.

I also have a question about video compression formats. The most common combination seems to be "wavelet" or Mpeg-4, but some brands offer JPEG. Any comments on this?

Also, the software for the various brands of cards all seem to offer the same features. Any comments on which company's software is the most

reliable and user-friendly? Also, which companies provide the best documentation and offer good support for their products?

Question about PAL v. NTSC (forgive my complete ignorance on this one): I've read that the fps is affected by whether you are recording in NTSC

or PAL. What determines which type of signal (NTSC or PAL) a system records in? Is it based on the type of video display monitors and/or

cameras being used? Since I'm in the U.S., can I assume that our system records in NTSC? Or, is there some setting in the DVR card software

that allows you to choose which signal you want to use?

Which retail suppliers have you had good experiences with? Which would you steer clear of? Finally, do you know if there are any suppliers that will allow a potential customer to "demo" a card for a short time to see how well the card performs?

All suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Chuck

Larry,

Rory,

Thanks for replying.

I found this forum by doing a search on Google, so I guess you can consider your forum to be "googleized" now.

Thanks for mentioning that video playback is only 5 x 6. I just assumed it would be full-screen like the VCR video playback. That's something to add to my notes. Also, I will be sure to pass on to our techs your point about building "server class" PCs.

And, yes, I think we're going to use our existing cameras. Again, trying to keep the cost down.

Everything in our computer room is already on a large UPS, so the PC's will be protected from power system surges, but what about protecting the PCs from any surges through the coax cables? Is that a concern? I'd hate to fry an $1100 DVR card. Is there any type of surge protect to run the coax cables through?

Rory, I really haven't given much consideration to a non-PC based system simply because of the cost. I looked up info about the Kalatel DVR systems you mentioned. Each 16-input DVR would cost between $4000 and $5000. Multiply by 3 (for 48 cameras), and the cost seem considerably higher than for build-it-yourself PC-based system. I suppose I should present that as an option, though. Thanks for your input.

Which suppliers have y'all had good experiences with? Any you would avoid?

Can either of you answer the question regarding PAL v. NTSC?

Thanks,

Chuck

Regarding coax surge protection check the Vicon listing on their V15LPG at

http://www.vicon-cctv.com/pages/prodindex-frame.html

Generally speaking it is not needed unless you are in some area that might have severe lightning problems. Of more concern is a strong video signal free of ground loop problems that could negatively affect your video quality (although it will not harm your DVR card).

As far as PAL vs NTSC those are standards for different countries. The U.S. is on the NTSC standard.

Try to find if possible a supplier that is in your geographical area since you may need onsite assistance in training and setup. Also you should look into loading some anti virus software onto the DVR as they can get affected by a virus just like any PC on your network.

Chuck M (I'm assuming a Win2K-based system, since that's what we use on almost all of our PCs)

Your DVR does not necessarily have to be the same operating system as your remote viewing systems.

Chuck M I am confident that our PC-Support department can build the required PCs (I'm assuming a Win2K-based system, since that's what we use on almost all of our PCs),

I would strongly advise against this option, Compatability is a huge issue and distributor know how will result in you being able to take a machine back to be swapped instead of waiting to geta n answer form a manufactorer. Trust me you WILL have issues if you so much as use the wrong chipsets.

Chuck M To support the current 48 cameras, we'll need at least three PCs,

This is actually not true, you can purchase systems that will allow you to have up to 36 cameras in one PC howver I would not recommend them if you are planning on having fast recording, stabiltiy or any cash left in your pocket.

Chuck MI'm thinking we should get at least 60-fps cards, preferably a 120-fps cards. Any thoughts/comments on this?

if you can afford it geta 200 or 400FPS system (faster in NTSC) however 100 FPS (120fps NTSC) would be the minimum I would recommend over 16 cameras, however take ito consideration you mentioned not all the cameras are operating at once... well geovision automaticly takes the frames for that camera and passes it around the system to make each camera record at best speeds, for example if 10 of 16 cameras arent being in motion recording at the same time you will have 10x the maiunt of frames allocated to a single camera.

Out of the cards you mentioned I have tried Geovision, Aver Media and Tai Labs, Geovision having the best software and Avermedia coming a very close second, tai labs I did not rate. i have never Tried G-Max or heard of them which is weird.

All of the cards have compatabilty issues and most use the same chips so they mostly ahev the same issues, Geo seems to be the easiest to install however it too has some issues.

Chuck M I also have a question about video compression formats. The most common combination seems to be "wavelet" or Mpeg-4, but some brands offer JPEG. Any comments on this?

Jpeg gives better quality still shots but when lots of movement occurs it fills the HDD too fast. Mpeg4 is later Technology and is not aws good with still shots but gives small file sizes on moving pictures. Mpeg2 is dvd quality and Mpeg4 is DivX Mpeg2 is very big in file size and therefore not used mush. Geovision has both and their own compression (not released yet).

Chuck M Also, the software for the various brands of cards all seem to offer the same features. Any comments on which company's software is the most

Geovision I have found is the easiest to use however I would not say that the cards you have already looked at have the same features, not till you sample it anyway. Not many manufactorers give good support this is why you SHOULD buy form a distributor that can support you, you will save money in the long run.

Chuck M Finally, do you know if there are any suppliers that will allow a potential customer to "demo" a card for a short time to see how well the card performs?

Some will some wont, I am in Australia so i cant, the best bet is anyone who sells or has done jobs should be able to show you a remote connection to a site to view what they have done.

Make sure your UPS will shut down the system or you will get currupted files, no good if when the UPS runs out of power it does not shut your system down through software.. you should be able to get a single UPS just for your DVR for around $85 US.

Also when you play back files you will get 640x480 resolution In pal which is quite large indeed. There are only a few DVR's on the market that are 1024x768 and they are Linux or very slow!

You might want to avoid making your own machine and go with a company that builds a turnkey unit. This company uses all Dell platforms and has a card that is very compatible with the Dell components. I've seen it work and it is actually quite good. You can get it in 60 fps, 120 fps, 240 fps. Here is the web site for them if you want to get some more information.

www.flashbacksystems.com

The nice part is being all Dell except for the DVR card you get the Dell 3 year warranty on the computer. It is all Dell approved.

AVCONSULTING, DVR Expert, thanks for all the info, suggestions and links. I'll definitely try to find a local distributor.

Despite the warnings about using our own PC's, I'm still leaning towards going that way, simply due to the cost of the turn-key units. However, the next step is to show the recommended PC specs to our PC people to get an estimate on how much the PC's would cost to build. Then we can do a cost/benefit comparison with the turn-key systems.

Thanks for all the input. I'll post updates on what we do and what happens, and I'll keep checking back here in case anyone has any additional ideas or comments.

Thanks again,

ChuckM

AVCONSULTING, DVR Expert, thanks for all the info, suggestions and links. I'll definitely try to find a local distributor.

Despite the warnings about using our own PC's, I'm still leaning towards going that way, simply due to the cost of the turn-key units. However, the next step is to show the recommended PC specs to our PC people to get an estimate on how much the PC's would cost to build. Then we can do a cost/benefit comparison with the turn-key systems.

Thanks for all the input. I'll post updates on what we do and what happens, and I'll keep checking back here in case anyone has any additional ideas or comments.

Thanks again,

ChuckM

if you still need more info on turn key products let me know, there are ways to get the price down and still have a great DVR system.

Be very caredull, manufactorers often under quote the specs needed and think about future upgrades. For example Geovision recommend P3 800 MHZ but if you tried to run their version 6 software it would run like a dog especially the 400FPS system. I would recommend you go for Hyper threading CPU and a video card that supports hardware overlay... Dont use IBM drives and use 7200 Spin drives only, dont skimp on the ram, Use XP Pro and I would recommend a Motherboard with a built in Raid controller. All of this may not be needed now but later if you wish to upgrade your version , you should be able to take advantage of the upgrades. Because I have sold over 500 DVR units (probably more) we get Beta versions to test so we tend to know what is going to be released and forethought can save a lot of cash later.. My strongest advice,, do not use your system for anything other than security.

Hello all. It's been a while since I made the original post. The project was on hold for a while due to higher priority tasks, but now I'm back on it . I've been reading through the various forums to learn as much as I can. I have a couple more questions I hope somone can answer.

Questions about "stackable" DVR cards:

I found a company online that sells a "stackable" 16-channel DVR card.(http://www.dvrsecuritysystems.com/all_new_stackable_120_fps_cards.htm).

In the user manual I downloaded, it says the Sentry DVSS4 "can accept up to 32 cameras on frame rate up to 480/240fps depending on model type."

1. Have any of you ever used "Sentry" brand cards? If so, how does the quality compare with GeoVision cards?

2. Have any of you ever built a 32-camera PC-based system with "stacked" cards? If so, how do you "stack" cards and how well did the system work?

These cards are rather pricey, and I imagine that two PCs with 16 cameras each would perform better than one PC with 32 cameras anyway, though it would be nice to be able to record 32 cameras on one PC. Opinions?

Question about recording resolution:

According to the GeoVision GV-800 spec sheet, the "recording resolution" options are: 320 X 240, 640 X 240, 640 X 480, and 640 X 480-SW

What's the difference between 640 x 480 and 640 x 480-SW?

Question about fps rates:

The overall max fps for the GeoVision 800 is 120 fps (NTSC). As I understand it, that is is based on 320 x 240 recording resolution. About how much slower is the fps when recording 640 x 480? I just sent an email to GeoVision to request an answer to this question, but I'd also like to know your actual experiences with the cards.

Also, I've read a couple of comments indicating that PC-based systems will eventually be replaced by standalone systems. For example, in the thread "New Geovision GV-250 card for $75 ... is that a good deal??" "squale" wrote:

"yeah somebody I know in the business was telling me that the computer systems using DVR cards are becoming less and less popular and standalone systems are really much more popular and will become even more and more popular with time."

Do you forsee a time when GeoVision, for example, will stop making DVR cards for PCs? If we put together a PC-based system now, will it be obsolete in two years? Will the manufacturers still offer support?

I would prefer the stability of a standalone system, but the fps rates seem woefully inadequate compared to the rates available with the DVR cards, especially considering how much more the standalone systems cost. When are the fps recording rates of standalone systems going to catch up with that of the PC DVR cards?

Thanks

Dont know about the questions regarding the PC cards, but:

"Do you forsee a time when GeoVision, for example, will stop making DVR cards for PCs? If we put together a PC-based system now, will it be obsolete in two years? Will the manufacturers still offer support"

More than likely alot of todays DVRs, stand alone or PC will ne next to obselete in 2 years, or if they are not, will require some kind of software update, be it a bin file for Eprom on a stand alone, or a windows software update on the PC. Hardware will also be different as it has changed already considerably over the past couple years. Technology changes, thats just how it is. Your windows computer and its software will be 'old' in 2 years, in fact I replace mine every 6 months-1 year max. Same can be said with alot of electronics today, they will more than likely still work fine, and if its a big name brand, still carry support, so updating it will be up to you.

"I would prefer the stability of a standalone system, but the fps rates seem woefully inadequate compared to the rates available with the DVR cards, especially considering how much more the standalone systems cost. When are the fps recording rates of standalone systems going to catch up with that of the PC DVR cards? "

I have no problem with the pps on the stand alones i use, 30pps being the norm, it is the standard in most stand alones today, and works well for me, high quality playback. But yes, I would like to have faster recording, of course ) Hopefully the embedded software will catch up in that area, no doubt it eventually will. It is definately not inadequate, it is still what is being used in most high end installations world wide, banks, retail, etc, even casinos use time lapse on most fixed cameras, and still use tape!...

But its up to you, if you want the ease and stability and low/no maintenance of a stand alone (rememeber stand alones come in windows, linux and embedded OS, embedded being the best for stability, but cost more, and a few less features), its up to you how much work you want to do over the next 2 years, and if they can afford it and the stand alone has all the features they need, then go for it. If their budget doesnt call for it, or its just like a home system, then PC card all the way.

Ive had 2 Kalatel embedded systems going almost 2 years now, with only 1 EPROM update, and no maintenance, and they are still going strong. 3 others going a year with no return to service them. The only issues I have had is with my local Cable ISP's bandwidth/uptime and thats not DVR related (we are in the 3rd world here!)

DVR australia has tried the ones I have and plus alot of PC cards, so he may be able to help some more on this. And AVCONSULTING has had years and years in the industry, plus has used all of them also, so these guys would be better at answering most of your questions.

Just my 2cents from a stand alone point:-))

Rory

If any card companies will be around, Geovision will be one of them. Geovision's two main drawbacks are a confusing GUI and a lack of restraint when it comes to distribution. The second wouldn't be a problem for your project, only for guys trying to sell them. The first you should be able to overcome pretty easily since it sounds like you have computer savvy people who will be using the dvrs. Geovision certainly has the staying power in this industry and it is loaded with features.

i woulnt mind getting my hands on one of those kodicom 4 ch DVRs with the built in LCD

hey allan, I just quoted McDonalds Bahamas on CCTV (using the storesafe), will wait to see what happens )

1. Have any of you ever used "Sentry" brand cards? If so, how does the quality compare with GeoVision cards?

I have never used them, however I think someone in this forum actually sells them, Sentry is not the manufacurer. I have seen nothing better than the Geo software. but I would kill to find something, I would imagine it is not better but may be close.

2. Have any of you ever built a 32-camera PC-based system with "stacked" cards? If so, how do you "stack" cards and how well did the system work?

Yes I have tried stackable cards, it means that you use two x 16 Channel PCI cards, it should not double the frame rate though, especially on larger images unless onboard compression is used. The one I tried became very unstable with two boards.

These cards are rather pricey, and I imagine that two PCs with 16 cameras each would perform better than one PC with 32 cameras anyway, though it would be nice to be able to record 32 cameras on one PC. Opinions?

If it were me I would build two machines, it all depends how you plan to watch it, if it sits in a server room who cares but if it is right in front of you then maybe 32 on one screen would be handy, probably be very small images though

What's the difference between 640 x 480 and 640 x 480-SW?

On some DVR's that have not fixed interlacing problems you will view what is like a tearing or blurring of larger or faster moving objects, the SW stands for Software Interlacing and makes the viewing better.

Question about fps rates:

The overall max fps for the GeoVision 800 is 120 fps (NTSC). As I understand it, that is is based on 320 x 240 recording resolution. About how much slower is the fps when recording 640 x 480? I just sent an email to GeoVision to request an answer to this question, but I'd also like to know your actual experiences with the cards.

I am 100% sure you will get a different answer formt he Geo tech department, each one answers the same question differently, seems only the head techs and engineers know much about stuff.

It will depend on your system CPU, Bus speed and and Motherboard make, however worst case scenario for us has been about a 35% loss in frames and best around 17% loss, this is true of all cards that do not have onboard compression

Do you forsee a time when GeoVision, for example, will stop making DVR cards for PCs? If we put together a PC-based system now, will it be obsolete in two years? Will the manufacturers still offer support?

Yes and No I can't see PC Cards tottaly stopping as they are easier to develop software for, but yes there is a big trend towards standalone machines and not just for stability, they are cheaper to manufacture, therefore if Geo made one they would make even more proffit.

Standalone systems will be the mainstream in my belief within 2 yrs time, I know Geo is already working on it, but at present they are still a ways behing PC based systems but are gaining rapidly

If their budget doesnt call for it, or its just like a home system, then PC card all the way

This is a bad statement, PC Cards are much more advanced than standalones and most large projects use PC rather than standalone as they have more flexibilty. I would say standalone is more stable but not by that much, PC can be updated while it is much harder with a standalone, if your unit is obsolete you need to replace all of it with a standalone, however if it is a PC it may be a simple upgrade, also a standalone is just like a PC with video display chips etc, the only difference is that if the video chip goes in a standalone you need to replace the whole thing not just a video card in a PC.

An example.... Geo released a hardware overlay feature for newer video cards, so upgrading your video card alone gave new features, but had it been standalone you would not be able to, besides standalones are not as flexible with remote features.

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of those kodicom 4 ch DVRs with the built in LCD

hey allan, I just quoted McDonalds Bahamas on CCTV (using the storesafe), will wait to see what happens )

Rory if you want to remotely log into any Maccas here let me know we did about 16 of them! A tip for you.... tell them it will help with training and their cash SOP.

One more factor to consider between PC based and embedded. When something goes wrong with a PC based you can almost always figure out a fix in the field. Embedded has to be sent back to the factory and who knows how long it will be before you get it back.

Rory, AVCONSULTING, DVR_Expert,

Thanks for all the feedback. The points about being able to upgrade and replace components of a PC system when something breaks have decided it for me. I definitely will recommend a PC-based system. It's the logical choice for us since we have a big PC Support department with many knowledgeable, experienced techs.

Another question:

Say we go with a GeoVision 480 fps card that allows the frame rate to be adjusted for each camera, and we find it's eating more hard drive space than we like. Can you lower the frame rate for the cameras to the point that it isn't using the full 480 fps, or will the card automatically allocate all of it? It only seems logical that we should be able to use a lower total rate, but I don't want to make that assumption.

Thanks