Sign in to follow this  
Senechka

3 Pelco PTZ control slaved to each other

First of all, I'd like to admit that I'm a noob when it comes to PTZs. I've installed several in a past few years, but never needed to troubleshoot any.

Got asked to run 2 extra Pelco PTZs and attach to an existing system. System already has 5 PTZs and 9 other cameras. I ran a cat5 to each camera and discovered that there is a no multiplexer or any sort of matrix/switcher for the PTZ. There are 2 cat5 that go into a KBDKIT and a that is plugged into KBD300a controller. One cat5 goes into the PTZ on one end of the store and the other cat5 seem to control the other 4 PTZs.

Upon discovering this I spend some time looking for the multiplexer, thinking maybe it's somewhere on the floor . . . couldn't locate it. My solution was to plug one twisted pair from each of the new PTZs installed straight into the KDBKIT and now I can control the two new PTZ and one of the older ones, but only together, at the same time . . . they're basically slaved to each other.

Am I doing something wrong? Some channel recognition I need to program into the KBD300a controller? Or is this impossible and I need to keep looking for the multiplexer?

Any word of advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had to do a similar thing to bench test a bunch of Pelco PTZs when I didn't have access to a Coaxitron (device that allows you to operate multiple Pelco PTZs that goes between the keyboard and PTZ cameras).

I did the same thing you did with hard-wiring the cat5 cable and plugging it directly into the keyboard. To get them to operate on different channels you will have to go into the keyboard setup and program each channel and do the same with the DIP switches on each PTZ. I am not familiar with the operation of that particular keyboard, but I bet you could find the answer if you got the manual for it online.

Good luck

Thanks, man. I kinda was leaning to the programming mode solution as well. I've had my nose stuck in this manual for some time now. Cheers.

You need to set a different, individual address on each new camera (if there are already 5 cameras that are called up by the keyboard as #1-5, address the new ones as #6 and up).

If you can look at one of the existing cameras, you will see two sets of DIP switches, one will have the protocol and baud rate settings (match these on the new cameras), and the address settings (these will be where you give the new cameras an individual address setting).