Sign in to follow this  
Gamer56

Stubborn Problem

I've just installed a new system at my house after a break in. I am having trouble with camera 2 which covers the driveway. I'm getting this halo ring in the shot/stream. I'm using a 100' shielded cable from the manufacturer of the system. I've swapped out the camera and no change I still get the Halo effect. I've tried moving the camera to shoot a different direction, no change. I've changed the channel on the DVR, no change. Daytime view is beautiful and clear. When the IR night time kicks in I get the Halo. I can try a new cable tonight, but with the daytime shot looking so good, I cannot see why the cable would be bad. I am running two cables from the garage to the DVR using the same wire staples, maybe they need to be separated? This would not make sense as the other cable is standard unshielded and it has no problem. The camera is a 600 line 100' range Q-See day/night indoor/outdoor. Motions sensor works fine too, just have this annoying halo. The only other light source is several hundred feet away across the street, it is a halogen street light. The original camera shot was sway from that light completely, the current shot is a little closer and nothing changed so I don't think it is affecting my camera. Any ideas??

Dave

Halo.jpg.5ccba361b34efa0f46caea7f9d2a6dd8.jpg

the problem is almost certainly infra red light from your camera reflecting back into the camera lens.

Disable internal IR lighting and fit an external IR illuminator, or get a camera where the IR LEDs and the camera lens don't share the same front piece of glass.

I've just installed a new system at my house after a break in. I am having trouble with camera 2 which covers the driveway. I'm getting this halo ring in the shot/stream. I'm using a 100' shielded cable from the manufacturer of the system. I've swapped out the camera and no change I still get the Halo effect. I've tried moving the camera to shoot a different direction, no change. I've changed the channel on the DVR, no change. Daytime view is beautiful and clear. When the IR night time kicks in I get the Halo. I can try a new cable tonight, but with the daytime shot looking so good, I cannot see why the cable would be bad. I am running two cables from the garage to the DVR using the same wire staples, maybe they need to be separated? This would not make sense as the other cable is standard unshielded and it has no problem. The camera is a 600 line 100' range Q-See day/night indoor/outdoor. Motions sensor works fine too, just have this annoying halo. The only other light source is several hundred feet away across the street, it is a halogen street light. The original camera shot was sway from that light completely, the current shot is a little closer and nothing changed so I don't think it is affecting my camera. Any ideas??

[attachment=0]Halo.jpg[/attachment]

you could pull the foam ring further forward to the dome cover if its a dome to block out the ir light effect halo.

Dave

This is definitely reflected IR. There are typically 2 causes of this. Is this a dome or bullet?

1. Internal reflections from the glass or plastic cover that get in front of the lens. Domes are particularly prone to this. Most cameras have a foam or plastic sleeve that presses up against the cover and isolates the lens from the IR LEDs, but this is not always effective, especially if it's a dome that's tilted near the end of its travel.

2. External reflections from something close to the camera back to the clear cover or the sunshade, if it has one. These take re-positioning the camera or painting the sunshade (if that's what's reflecting).

It's easy to tell which it is. If you take the camera and point it straight up at night, out in the open, you'll either have IR halo or not. If you do, it's coming from internal reflections. If not, it's reflecting off of something near the camera.

As Owain said, one sure solution is to disable on-board IR (if you can, not all cams allow this) and use an external illuminator. Decent ones start around $30-40 and go up quickly from there.

OK, the answer was that although I thought I had the camera IR field not hitting anything, it was. It was hitting the very corner of the siding even though it was not showing in the view of the shot. When I moved the camera left about an inch, the Halo was gone. I also may have had the hood pulled too far forward. Now the hood is even with the back edge of the camera body and the extended part over the lens is about and inch and a half out, originally I had it pulled out about 3 inches to try to protect it from rain and snow. This was a bullet camera.

Thanks

Dave

Cool it's fixed, but still weird to me. I have three IR bullet cameras that include some siding in the shot and never got that problem. But glad you got it sorted. Sometimes an inch either way can help. If it's a varifocal, sometimes it's even better to zoom in a bit and avoid obstacles. Getting that perfect shot in both day and night takes adjustment.