chucky

AvertX 8 and 16 Channel Professional IP System at COSTCO

I agree. The two things that tipped me off were the reviews on Costco.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100021434/pc-open-inc-dba-avertx-avertx-8-channel-professional-ip-hd-security-system-with-2tb-hard-drive-and-4-1080p-ip-cameras-reviews/reviews.htm

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100021442/pc-open-inc-dba-avertx-avertx-16-channel-professional-ip-hd-security-system-with-2tb-hard-drive-and-8-1080p-ip-cameras-reviews/reviews.htm

Between that and the trademark thing found above, they are just trying to be sneaky and dishonest.

I also find it funny that on the Avertx site you cant find a single address or phone #.

Looks like you missed it. http://www.avertx.com/contact-support/ has both the California address and phone numbers.

I'm not going to jump to the defense of the company just yet as I have yet to see updates, but I have definitely had very positive interaction with their tech support. Coming up on a month since my last post about the system. I do still have it. Considering Costco's liberal return policy, I could easily have taken it back and it has crossed my mind a couple of times but all in all I'm pleased with what I have. I don't know about any link between them and Openeye. Taking a look at their NVR, it doesn't have the capabilities that this one does (i.e. Openeye limits live view to max 4 cams??), but I really didn't do a lot of digging here. I'm doing my best to be un-biased and just relay my observations of my overall experience.

I could easily have taken it back and it has crossed my mind a couple of times but all in all I'm pleased with what I have

Why has it crossed your mind to take it back? Over a months time, are there things not doing so well with anything? What's the worst part about this system? What's the best part?

This really is a great forum. I'm very impressed by the thoughtfulness and spirit expressed in the posts that I've read. Good for you, fine folks... What a nice thing it is.

And, thanks for updating with posts regarding AvertX. I'm still curious about them, but for pro gear dollars, am currently thinking I'm leaning toward a QNAP/VioStor NVR solution like the VS-4116 Pro+, with my choices of cameras at various specific locations. Compatibility is a good thing, I think.

Thanks again for all the input.

Me? I'm a newbie to all of this...

I could easily have taken it back and it has crossed my mind a couple of times but all in all I'm pleased with what I have

Why has it crossed your mind to take it back? Over a months time, are there things not doing so well with anything? What's the worst part about this system? What's the best part?

A few reasons. The first was simply cost and nothing to do with the system. With some unexpected medical bills, money became an issue.

Second was low light performance. Since I bought the system with the domes (before the IR cam package was available), I lost the lighting that I had in the old analog cameras with IR built in. I have since bought 4 of their HD90 IR cameras, and added a $10 IR illuminator for one of the domes that is in a dark area. If I was going to do it again, I would buy the IR camera package, and add on dome cameras as needed. This was really just about the needs of my specific install rather than the product.

Lastly, there are a few software issues. I'm confident that they will be resolved with an update, but in the interim I'm stuck with a few bugs.

Worst part of the system for me. I like to watch different screens depending on the situation and currently there is no way to configure a custom layout. You want to watch a 4 way? You can watch 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. You want to see a 4 way with camera 1, 4, 9, 15? nope. You just have to watch it in a 16 window view.

A couple other things that bug me would also be easily fixed. The "search" function gives a list of videos (i.e. searching by date+time+motion) but you can only play one video than you have to go back to the search window start a new search. Since your setting isn't saved, it's a little frustrating to search through 10+ events unless you have a good memory and remember the last one you played each time.

AvertX tells me they are hard at work on an update that addresses this and several issues.

Best part? Function, design, video quality are all good. It's an incredible bump up from my analog system. All that considered, what I have found most surprising is the support. They aren't open nights and weekends, but when they are open my calls were answered immediately by people that knew the product and didn't treat me like an idiot. It also helps that I don't have to strain to understand the accent of someone trying to speak English as a second language. If I bought a similar Chinese product, I don't think I could expect attentive support, updates, and a decent return policy.

Lastly, referring to the post about compatibility. It might be an issue with some of the IP cameras out there, but most of the newer ones seem to be ONVIF complaint (which this system is). I did try to hook up 2 Q-See (Dahua?) 720P cameras but they were older and not ONVIF so they did not work with this system.

If Avertx is associated with OpenEye, run, they make the worst cameras I've ever used. We got 7 of their top of the line IR vandal domes and it was a disaster. The IR light bleed was horrible, the NVR died after a few weeks, the NVR was the slowest I've ever seen. Took the tech onsite over an hour to extract a video event to a USB stick. At last year's ISC West event, they were sort of arrogant. I can see why they would resurrect under a different brand name because I can't be the only one that was disappointed by their product.

I'll hit their booth in 2 weeks at the ISC conference and check them out.

We us an OE3-E480 openeye dvr at work. I didn't choose them, the long gone installer did. The first one died after a couple months. The replacement has been doing well and support was okay to get it done. They do update firmware for their products and software. But having used the E480, their top of the line 16 channel, I think it's way overpriced for a unit that can't do D1 30 fps on all channels- WAY overpriced. I wouldn't be compelled to buy openeye myself, that's for sure.

As far as MP cameras, it seems to me that relying on IR in the camera is a lateral move from analog and I would never go through the expense and change out of a whole system to end up with that. My IR cameras attract spiders. I'll be damned if I get even better resolution of that. I would ONLY buy non IR domes and provide sufficient exterior light, or if I had to, get IR sensitive domes and provide separate IR fixtures. Unless you're in an area where spiders aren't a consideration [is there such an area], IR MP cameras are a silly consideration if you have the problem with analog IR cameras.

Buellwinkle, your contributions here and at NCC.com are extremely helpful. Thanks very, very much! I don't know how you have the time to post as often as you do. Thanks to many others as well.

I enjoyed over 30 years tenure with a major Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, including serving as a Regional Service Manager covering 11 southern states way back in the 70's, but no involvement with surveillance/security systems until now. Yes, both my feet are indeed getting very wet...

After reading reviews here and on the NetworkCameraCritic.com site, I'm looking at probably various ACTi cams for use with a QNAP VioStor VS-4116 Pro+ NVR solution. The ACTi NVR I was most intrigued by was their GNR-2000, but that now seems to be discontinued, requires licenses for cameras beyond 4, etc. I also like the features of the QNAP over the ACTi GNR-3000 (dual LAN, 4 drive bays, inboard RAID, build quality, etc) and the QNAP is even a little less expensive, as well (~$1800). So, I'm really leaning toward that option, if it works well. Do you have any experience or opinions in that regard? I was considering Dahua cams and NVR, but their whole approach just seems too flaky and "hey, watch out... that seller is not authorized" for comfort. I loved your description of how the warranty coverage works for Dahua cams (buy a new one), and your recent comments in another string regarding Dahua Cams=Dead End were particularly insightful. And some people get the 8 channel Q-See or Swann systems with 4 cams, then can't get additional cameras without buying another package deal (just to get the cams?)?? Goofy.

I need maximum reliability and flexibility with as little complexity as possible for my little sister's new 45 acre property acquisition in the Blue Ridge mountains near Asheville, NC. She sold her Veterinary Clinic in Alaska and is retiring and relocating to her new place next month. She will be raising various animals, and there will be several outbuildings, barns, tractor shed, workshop, etc, where cams may ultimately be helpful. The front gate is ~650' from the house and not quite line of sight, but I think I can reach the location with pole mounted wireless for a couple of cams there (call box, straight on front view). We're trying NOT to have to bury cable/fiber over the hilly, rocky terrain at that distance. Ethernet Over Powerline is not an option, as power near the gate location is separated by 2 transformers from power at the house. We will also need to figure out a networked gate control system/intercom, but I have some ideas in that regard (but ANY input is most welcome, there). Also, reliable cellular service is not available at this remote property, presently, but I am investigating directional antennas and amplification, as a 3watt "bag phone" was able to make a call or two, sporadically, so there is at least a little bit of signal "out there". I'm planning to cover key locations across the property via APs (5GHz Ubiquity?), so she will have internet access while outside the house for Smartphones, iPads, etc, which could also be used to monitor camera locations.

Sorry this post is "all over the place", topic wise, but there's a lot involved, as you can see. I very much appreciate any and all ideas and input.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!

Sloride-

I was wondering how the avertx system has been working out for you. Would love to see pics/or some video of the images you're getting. I just looked at their offerings on costco and for the 16 channel, I'm amazed to see it has 16 POE built in. All things considered, this product looks like it has possibilities. But so far, you're the only one who seems to have it! If ya don't mind, some samples would be very cool. Thanks.

Lunkhead,

Have not had a chance to look into QNAP up close. They were at the ISC West show and they said they would lend me a unit for a review. Another one to look at is Synology, a NAS company that has NVR software, priced pretty well at a couple of hundred for the NAS and then $50/cam after the first free one. I did have a chance to play with the ACTi NVR, don't remember model numbers but it runs on Linux and was very responsive with all the cameras they had plugged into it.

Here's what I look for in an NVR or NVR software, it has to be responsive, I have to be able to see multiple cameras at a time during playback. I like to be able to scrub a timeline and see all the cameras play back at the same time. I like the layouts to be flexible meaning I don't want to buy 6 cameras and see 2-3 empty slots because of poor layout choices. I like one that can handle 16:9 and 4:3 ratios effectively and not look goofy, I like it if they had smartphone apps where I can live view cameras as well as playback recordings, I like there to be very complete remote browser access. I like it to be easy to click on the start/stop spots a timeline and quickly export video. And of course, I like it support all my cameras (the hardest part).

I have a couple of QNAP NAS devices, I have used the built in surveillance station application.

It used to be included in the cost of the device, but then they started charging a $55 per camera software license.

As NAS devices they work well, but their surveillance station is lacking features, its an activex for IE, pretty buggy.

I just got the QSee, that works better.

Lunkhead,

Have not had a chance to look into QNAP up close. They were at the ISC West show and they said they would lend me a unit for a review. Another one to look at is Synology, a NAS company that has NVR software, priced pretty well at a couple of hundred for the NAS and then $50/cam after the first free one. I did have a chance to play with the ACTi NVR, don't remember model numbers but it runs on Linux and was very responsive with all the cameras they had plugged into it.

Here's what I look for in an NVR or NVR software, it has to be responsive, I have to be able to see multiple cameras at a time during playback. I like to be able to scrub a timeline and see all the cameras play back at the same time. I like the layouts to be flexible meaning I don't want to buy 6 cameras and see 2-3 empty slots because of poor layout choices. I like one that can handle 16:9 and 4:3 ratios effectively and not look goofy, I like it if they had smartphone apps where I can live view cameras as well as playback recordings, I like there to be very complete remote browser access. I like it to be easy to click on the start/stop spots a timeline and quickly export video. And of course, I like it support all my cameras (the hardest part).

Thanks, Buellwinkle.

I've changed course a bit and am focused presently on Mobotix. It seems that their T24 door station might be the best choice for controlling entry at my sister's front gate. I'm also intrigued by their "decentralized system" concept. My sister won't need a lot of cameras, maybe six or fewer. The Mobotix hemispherical approach, with processing being handled in each camera, seems like it could also be advantageous for applications such as monitoring the barn and animal areas with Q24s. There's no inboard IR, but I suppose illumination could be added. Do you have an opinion on these? How would the "day" camera versions of these models work at night, with added IR illumination, I wonder... Poorly, because the day versions filter IR? Or do they?

So, how does the Mobotix cam, MXCC software and NAS system solution perform on your scorecard? And what if we also wanted to add an ACTi box cam at the gate for a full on frontal view of visitors? Mobotix says MXCC can incorporate other brands of IP (or analog) cams, but maybe other brands wouldn't interface well with the "decentralized topography".

My sis is IOS everything and since Mobotix now offers apps for iPhone and iPad, this could be perfect for her situation. Do you know of a better alternative to the T-24 for entry/access/communication for a remote gate location? That's kinda where my switch to thinking Mobotix got started...

And again, thanks very much for your kind reply.

I have a couple of QNAP NAS devices, I have used the built in surveillance station application.

It used to be included in the cost of the device, but then they started charging a $55 per camera software license.

As NAS devices they work well, but their surveillance station is lacking features, its an activex for IE, pretty buggy.

I just got the QSee, that works better.

Hey, JJ:

I appreciate your reply. I've noted that not many appear to be using QNAP VS. Build quality is one thing. Buggy software's another.

Thanks for the "heads up" from your experience.

Hi folks, what a great thread, website.

8 CHANNEL NVR SYSTEM

2TB, 4 BULLET CAMERAS

I just bought this system (8 camera) based on the only one 5 star review I read on Costco's website. I watched the accompanying video and was blown away. It showed that from across a rather large business/ showroom you could see the details on a bill at a register. Also were some scrumptious screen shots of it's IR capability.

I would think most consumers would need low light or no light systems. (Who needs to spend two thousand on a nanny cam?) So I was very enthusiastic. The sales video was all about the detailed out-put I would be reviewing.

Anyway we had this behemoth shipped. The 2TB body is huge and extremely loud with it's fans as full throttle. Husband hates that. I stuck box in my video editing bay shelf. Although it suggested an open air location. But it fit, and I had to get it out of the way. I was surprised at how cool it stayed. I kept checking it's temperature.

We set up only one camera, so far right outside front door. Daylight sure didn't have the look of sales video. And the directions kept talking about removing the dome when we have bullet cameras. So confused. Anyway the night time view was non-exisitant. You could see the outline of my car. But basically no contrast. The picture had no color, and barely no white or detail. Useless.

Included with our system a very cheap lightweight plastic mouse, that I tried to play with to see if I could turn on or off something to make an actual image appear. But that would inevitably lead to my image disappearing. I simply rebooted. Did that 3 times. With terrible image reappearing. Was going to take a picture for you all, but on last reboot no picture at all. So I turned my cool system off.

If it sounds like I didn't read the enclosed materials, that is incorrect. I tried every permutation of instructions, when explanation was unclear. Of course all this on a Saturday night.

It has taken me 6 years to figure out that a neighbor of mine has been anti-freezing my pets. I need desperately a system that works at night. I would like to have very narrow bullet, right on her door step, which is is approx 40 yards from where I can plant a camera.

If anyone can suggest a system that is dependable... Or a particular camera.

I would spend even more for a clear picture at night. We don't need 16 cameras either. The uniden wireless from Costco for 350 something has a better night vision, which isn't say much.

Last note, is that I live on a very rainy island. No Sam's Club here. I have to buy almost everything on the internet. I have all apple products. I plugged the HD into the our TV using an HDMI cable. Geez do I need a dedicated PC?

Or is there no such system? Just the least in Sucky?

Any help or links on this subject would be hugely appreciated.

I agree. The two things that tipped me off were the reviews on Costco.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100021434/pc-open-inc-dba-avertx-avertx-8-channel-professional-ip-hd-security-system-with-2tb-hard-drive-and-4-1080p-ip-cameras-reviews/reviews.htm

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100021442/pc-open-inc-dba-avertx-avertx-16-channel-professional-ip-hd-security-system-with-2tb-hard-drive-and-8-1080p-ip-cameras-reviews/reviews.htm

Between that and the trademark thing found above, they are just trying to be sneaky and dishonest.

OpenEye and Costco aren't being dishonest at all. Avertx is a costco operated and backed company, so costco is partnering with a surveillance company to create their own brand of surveillance equipment. Costco + OpenEye = AvertX . Costco sells the brand and runs the company while OpenEye provides products, support, and R&D. As someone who spent 4K+ on an AvertX system, I don't appreciate you rambling nonsense about how they've abandoned their trademark. They've abandoned their trademark because Costco lawyers advised management to abandoned it, not because they are going out of business. Before you go posting things you have know idea about please read between the lines and do some research, so you don't off and confuse other customers. How do I know this you ask... step 1: go to http://www.avertx.com/ step 2: locate the phone number (855-2AVERTX or 855-228-3789) step 3: call, and wait till someone answers the phone, and then do this amazing thing ask them!!!... They will tell you, when I asked the representative if they were going out of business he laughed. Then promptly replied "sir we are a Costco backed and operated company we aren't going out of business anytime soon... Unless Costco goes out of business". He then continued to answer any questions I had about the company.