Sign in to follow this  
bigglebowski

Any issues with Athlon based computers for NVR use?

Almost every software based NVR solution calls for Intel. Talking non enterprise level software, like a core package or middle tiered package. This would be for a residential or small business sized system, less than 10 MP cams.

For a PC that was going to be used as the client and server have you found any solutions that dont work well with Athlon based systems? Seems computer parts from the last few years should be well ahead of the recommended requirements for a PC for this purpose.

I know there are a lot more factors to consider, just want to know other than large scale or hardcore analytics when would an athlon pc be no good.

Thanks

They typically mean Intel compatible and AMD processor will work fine. For some software, having 10 MP cameras will require the equivalent of a current model i5 or i7 processor. If you NVR software is very efficient or uses the camera to handle motion detection then you may get away with an i3 equivalent. Memory is rarely an issue but have at least 2 NICs as 10 camera at MP resolution may tax a 100Mbps network and just about all cameras are 100Mbps. I know I have 6 cameras and that's already at it's limits.

Thanks for the reply, and also thanks for your blog, those type of in depth reviews are greatly lacking for this type of gear.

Just realized now I put Athlon instead of AMD

I guess what I am really asking is it worth saving $100-150 going with an AMD chip when building a NVR pc where the system is not CPU intense. I know in the case of building a PC for architectural software the answer would be no because it is very CPU intensive and an i7-3770k is worth it.

Or has anyone run into software that just doenst play well with AMD.

NVR apps generally are very CPU intensive. H.264 compression is very CPU intensive. Imagine that the computer has to decompress every frame and analyze it with previous frames to determine if video motion was detected, 30 times per second for each camera, millions of pixels at a time.

There are a few software NVR's that use the camera's motion detection but they are typically limited to certain brands of cameras. For example. ExacqVision does this on all the cameras they support but their support list is limited and something like a firmware update may throw it off. Some like Milestone that have a very comprehensive camera support list does it on some cameras, not others, even with Axis when I tested it, it did it's own motion detection or maybe I was using it wrong.

The other choice is some cameras like Axis, Mobotix, Dahua can write to a NAS and they have their own CMS software to view multiple cameras and view recorded video. Then you don't need a PC to record as the cameras will write to a NAS or SD card on their own. The PC would only be on for viewing so it doesn't have to be a powerful PC.

Exacq and Avigilon are extremely light on the CPU you can even use ATOM based machines. You can have a look at Exacq supported camera list which is 1000 cameras here. https://exacq.com/support/ipcams.php

Avigilon's supported camera list which is over 800 is here http://avigilon.com/#/support-and-downloads/for-software/supported-cameras-and-encoders/

Exacq can even be installed on Axis and IQI cameras and record to SD cards BUT keep in mind searching video is slow.

Both Exacq and Avigilon support camera based motion detection which works very well and can save you a lot of money with hardware over using software that is server based motion.

What are your goals with this system? What cameras are you thinking about using?

I too have been looking at building a pc for nvr purposes. I have looked at the camera lists for Exacq and Avigilon but neither support the Dahua cameras I am looking at. Are they supported under a different name possibley? I am looking specifically at the Dahua 2100, 3200, and the new 3202.

Thanks

GM

What are your goals with this system? What cameras are you thinking about using?

Dont have a specific system laid out but wanting to get back to some clients and maybe some new ones that are wanting to migrate into IP. Looking at a vendor who seems to sell decent name branded cameras. I loath the no name chinese stuff that plagues this industry so will be sticking with known good brands.

Going to be getting some IP cams to work with before I started to fool with some trial NVR software. Will start with manufacturer free software but then onto ones like: Exacq, Geovision, Milestone etc..

Was wondering if "basic" versions of Aimetis and Aviglon would be too complex for residential or small business where the users may not be tech savvy. You are a vendor in Aviglon can you send me pricing?

Thanks

Dont have a specific system laid out but wanting to get back to some clients and maybe some new ones that are wanting to migrate into IP. Looking at a vendor who seems to sell decent name

Was wondering if "basic" versions of Aimetis and Aviglon would be too complex for residential or small business where the users may not be tech savvy. You are a vendor in Aviglon can you send me pricing?

Thanks

Where are u located ?

Dont have a specific system laid out but wanting to get back to some clients and maybe some new ones that are wanting to migrate into IP. Looking at a vendor who seems to sell decent name

Thanks

Where are u located ?

USA, NC/SC

If you haven't selected cameras yet, consider ACTi. They have new cameras coming out soon that will be awesome. They have great service and support. Their free NVR 3.0 software uses the camera motion detect so you can run the 10 cameras on an Atom processor if you wanted to as I was doing but switched to i3, not because I needed it, because I found one cheap and repurposed my Atom based NVR to a PVR (like a Tivo) for my TV. Look at my review on the KCM-5611 and their new 1080P dome and bullet will use that sensor.

The only downside to using an Atom based Nettop is they are typically not expandable, for example, with 10 MP cameras, you may need a second NIC, you may need a drive larger than what's available in the 2 1/2" form factor, you may need more than one drive.

Their NVR 3.0 software is the best I've used, going to miss it as I'm switching to a mixed brand security system.

I have never been happy with the image quality from Acti cameras always some annoying issue from the cameras losing IP settings, extremely bad motion blur at night, and only 3 motion windows.

Video requires lots of processing power. To be efficient, software have to do many machine code optimization. Most of the software companies are not the size of microsoft, oracle, adobe. They will put their efforts on Intel platforms first. Don't assume companies that says nothing about Intel means they optimized for AMD. More likely is they just "assume" it will work as good on AMD. Most of the developers today have no experience with machine code. And they have no idea some 'surprises' could happen.

"Intel" doesn't mean "Intel" cpu only. Intel chipset in general are also more efficient, faster and reliable.

Another thing is, it may be because AMD based solution are more focused on cost, hence, the whole system are more likely to be assembled with cheap parts. I once had an AMD PC from a major PC maker died in just 3 months. Sure, it could be just bad luck, as my sample size isn't big enough.

Not sure about the newer AMD CPUs. But last time I was shopping for a server. I noticed AMD CPU requires higher CPU fan speed. The chance of mechanical failure is much higher than electronics parts. (PSU, CPU fan are among the most common hardware failure) AMD is attractive in terms of price. But for things that have to run all the time like server, NVR, I would choose Intel based solution. Time is money too.