Sign in to follow this  
bryan583

Hi all From Michigan

Hello,

I've been researching and came across this forum several times so I decided to join. I would like to setup a home security camera system with remote access from my smartphone, tablet,laptop.

Ive already bought a 4ch pci dvr card and a Sony camera ( can't remember model #) with a BNC connection. After playing around with these I've decided I don't like the DVR card more specifically the software. So I'd like to use the camera but over UTP. I've already got one of my towers set up as a home server and I can remotely access my home network through my phone. What I can't seem to find is a video balun that will run video and power over Cat5e/6 cable. Most of the ones I have found have a BNC terminator for each end with a CAT cable in the middle.

A little about me and my background:

18 yrs of IT: Administration, break/fix, support, networking (installing,troubleshooting)

10yrs Handy man type work roofing,plumbing,drywall,electrical,flooring working and learing with some of the best people I know

Jack of all trades and master of none

Thanks for any help thrown my way.

Bryan

hello, i'd like to help you. but i am a new member and i can't leave a link here.

I'm new and was able to post a link....

mgb-

I checked the other ones you posted along with the website and I had ordered (from somewhere else) ones like posted and they are wrong for what im looking for. They still have BNC connections on each end and with a cat cable in the middle and a external power supply. I would like to connect the balun to the camera both BNC and Power then connect a cat5 cable to my switch and use it as a network camera, having both video and power sent to and from my network.

You can't use an analog camera as a network camera. You will need encoders. I know Avigilon has an encoder that takes 4 analog cameras to network but I believe it has to be used with their software

If your wanting to power your analog cameras up with Poe you would need to convert that Poe voltage. Your analog cameras probably take 12vdc power ( and possibly 24vac)

Poe is 44vdc-57vdc.

Are these cameras currently wired back from each camera to your PC.

Off the top of my head I'd say you best bet is either Siamese cable from your head end with the power conductors going to plug in 12vdc transformers and the bnc end going to an analog to ip CCTV encoder. Or you can run cat5 (or6) and use baluns. Either way your still gonna need the encoder.

Thanks MGB

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably sell my DVR card and camera and video balun setup to recoupe some of that Money. Then start looking at Ip cams.

Do you have any suggestions on IP/network cams. I prefer wired over wireless.

Thanks