lowpro

Los Angeles Fire Dept needs your help identifying arsonist..

As CCTV'ers, I thought this would be interesting to us. What can we learn from watching this video? One person asked, "can't the police just enhance the license plate?". I was even having trouble figuring out what make/model of vehicle it is.

Happy New Years to you guys!

CHATSWORTH - Investigators from the Los Angeles Fire Department Arson/Counter-Terrorism Section have released surveillance video of an arsonist believed responsible for a series of fires in the west San Fernando Valley.

The twelve intentionally set blazes in question, took place in Chatsworth, California between October 21 and October 28, 2012

http://lafd.blogspot.com/

P1QDxp4Pc5A

That's actually not too bad for analog video at night, and you couldn't ask for a better place for him to park his car. He even turned off the lights so the camera could get a good look at the plate. It's still useless for a plate or a face and you'd have to be familiar with cars to tell what make and model it is. Typical wide-angle analog camera footage that'll tell you what is going on but not who is doing it.

I'm an amateur cctver but I like looking at my analog videos and keep asking myself if they'd be good enough at night for a plate or a detailed face shot. Much of the time the answer is no except for closeups, which is why I have a couple of nice Axis IP cameras with their Lightfinder technology sitting in a box waiting for a few more cams so I can complete an IP cctv setup.

Heck, if it were up to reviewing saved footage from my front door analog camera, I don't know if I could scrape up a good face shot of my paperboy and he comes daily before sunrise. The cam is off to the side of my front door by about 3-4 feet and hanging from the eave. Add his hat and the hoodie he always wears and it is tricky even with the porch light on. It'd be easier if saved footage were as good as live though.