Sign in to follow this  
0cean23

Question about IP cameras

I was reading reviews on different cameras from Networkcameracritics.com and noticed that each different brand IP camera has its own software?

The Axis and Dahua camera both has there own web interface to control the camera settings. If I was to use those cameras with a 16 channel Dahua NVR system will I be using the software from the NVR unit to control each cameras?

Typically, you use the camera's web interface to configure the camera settings for things like resolution, IR and day/night settings, contrast/compression, etc, and set the NVR to record and do motion detection, though some cams do the motion detection onboard. There'll usually be some overlap of things like email alerts and FTP that can be done on either the cam or the NVR, but that depends on the individual gear.

Some NVRs send configuration strings to some cams and can configure them directly (Blue Iris does this with some Arecont cams, for instance), but that's generally the exception rather than the rule.

You'll want to make sure the NVR you choose supports any cameras you're interested in.

Not sure what your budget is but Avigilon's VMS controls everything in Avigilon's cameras. I could not tell you the last time I logged into the web GUI of there cameras. Controlling all aspects of the cameras settings from the VMS is a HUGH time saver