cirtemid

Swann DVR4-1300 questions

Hello all. This is my first time here. I just purchased this system at the new year and had a host of questions. I e-mailed Swann Tech support but got no response, so I am coming here in hope that you all can help me understand this system and its features better. Here goes:

1. The Overwrite function. Exactly how does this work? The options are Auto, 1 Hr, 30 days, 90 days. Does this mean that the unit will overwrite its files in the specified time period? So if I choose 1 Hr, does this mean the unit will overwrite files every hour? If I choose Auto, how does this option work? Does the unit overwrite even if the memory is not full?

2. VGA. I used the included RCA video cable to initially hook my DVR4-1300 to a flat-screen TV. Later I acquired a VGA cable that you would use to attach a laptop to a TV. When I used this cable on the DVR4-1300, nothing changed. Actually, the DVR does not recognize the VGA connection. If I choose the appropriate input on the TV to view the VGA connection, the screen is dark. The VGA connection on the TV is functional, as I attached a netbook to it and saw the netbook screen on the TV. I can only choose the input that uses the RCA connection if I want to see video from the DVR. I even chose VGA for the display option in the DVR menu and clicked Apply. Nothing changed. What do I do to use the VGA connection for the DVR?

3. When I use a Smartphone to connect to the DVR using SwannView, I constantly get a "Connect to Server Successful" message. Why is this happening? Everything is working, I am just wondering why I keep getting this message while I am viewing the cameras.

4. I intend to eventually purchase one of the Swann PTZ cameras; specifically one of the PRO series. However, I want this camera to connect to my DVR4-1300 without using the PTZ controller. I want to control the camera from the DVR and Smartphone. Do all of the PRO series PTZ cameras connect to a DVR? In reading the descriptions for the cameras, some of them implied that they would only work with the included PTZ controller. Does the PTZ controller need to be used for some models, or can I use the DVR and Smartphone for every model?

a. On a similar note, how long is the cable with the RS-485 connector? While the BNC and power cable is shown to be 60 ft, the RS-485 connection cable appears to be very short.

5. If I am viewing a PTZ camera from the Smartphone and the camera is set to Cruise mode, can I still control the camera from the phone? If the camera is panning and I want to take control of it, how will this affect Cruise mode? Can I return to Cruise mode from the phone if I take control of the camera from the phone?

6. When I purchased the DVR4-1300, it came with a CD that had several programs on it, yet there are no instructions on what these programs do or how to use them. Are there any manuals on these programs so I can learn how to use them? The programs are NetViewer, Playback H.264, and AVI Generator.

Thanks for any and all help.