kandcorp

Some Suggestions PLEASE!

p><p>Ok, so one of my dealers emailed me over this great picture <!-- s:wink: --><!-- s:wink: -->  today and asked me for suggestions on a strictly observation system. If you look at the picture above, he will basically need 2 domes and 2 15" LCD

I will be providing the 2 dome and 2 LCD's (composite input)

So all I have come up with is this:

Running both camera video feeds to a quad proc.

Using the monitor output and splitting it between the 2 screens.

Probably will need some sort of amp for Monitor output since the runs are fairly long..coming from a quad.

I know picture on monitors is going to look horrible but thats what he wants.

Any suggestions?

There are two ways you can do this. Sorry Securitymaster, but I think that what you suggest would lead to impedance problems and a bad picture on the monitors.

1. A 1 in X 2 out Distribution Amp situated at each dome, each output feed going to each monitor respectively. Once you have two video feeds at each monitor point you can use a quad or switcher there, and select any camera you need in full screen, or quad. Needs more cable but is a more flexible solution. I don't think you will battle with picture quality.

2. Situate a quad either between the domes or at one of them. Take a video feed from each dome into the quad. Take the quad output into a 1 in X 2 out Distribution Amp and send a video feed to each monitor. Less cabling probably but less flexible as you can't select a full screen view of either dome unless you change it at the quad.

Thanks SeanMort:

I think I'll take option 2. They will just have to keep it on quad view or sequence. Any suggestions on BNC amp?

Isaac,

Any suggestions on that. Brand/Model. As of now all i have found that is decent is the Sharp Aquos. They have 2 composite inputs.

There are two ways you can do this. Sorry Securitymaster, but I think that what you suggest would lead to impedance problems and a bad picture on the monitors.

Uh! Well, I have done it only a few times and never has a problem, but these where with regular CRT monitors, not LCD's. One learns something new everday.

I would be careful using any device that switches the signal on a LCD, a quad will provide a constant signal but a switcher will break between pictures, this break can sometimes be seen by a LCD screen as a loss of video and then it will scan the other connections it has ...like DVI, XVGA, SVGA etc etc, resulting in an eternal loop of searching for an input and loads of black screens.

My advice is to buy 2x proper LCD security monitors, these have two Composite BNC connections and loop throughs on them, this means each camera can have it's own channel on each monitor as you have two per monitor, and because it can be terminated and balanced you will not need a disty amp and if you need 2 cameras at once on a single screen then use the picture in picture option.

However if they can not push buttons to change cams, then I agree with the above method, however you will waste 2 inputs and therefore make half your screen void of picture and inturn that will make your two inputs small, you can only change this by pressing the quads buttons, but with only one quad, you can only do this at one location.

A matrix would be the best bet, but I assume you wont sepnd that much money, using standard CRT you could buy a monitor with a switcher built in and at least two seperate channels.

Securitymaster, I don't mean to be controversial or anything. It does work on short links, and also when one of the monitors is not terminated. Essentially you're splitting the signal along two paths without much regard to impedance or capacitance, but on longer links the picture will be slightly screwed up (put a scope on it and see what happens to the HF response and colour burst). Distribution amps (DBA) were designed to take care of this problem. Most distributors stock DBA's at a reasonable price.

Well,

Just sold the guy a DVR. He can accomplish all he needs from that. After the Composite input LCD monitors, amps, quads, crazy cabling it wasnt worth it.

He will put the DVR at one station use regular cheap LCD from the VGA output on vid Card. And use the DVI output from vid card with a DVI to VGA converter and run the VGA to second monitor at second station.

Thanks for all the help guys..