Pearl

Starter Book

I need to get a good book that will give me information regardng the networking aspects of CCTV and Surveillance Video design and configuration....what are the design features to look for, what are the limitations in bandwidth, how best to cable/route, etc. Does anyone know of a good book for me to purchase?

you wont find anything in the CCTV industry to do with computer networking, you will need to probably get 2 books, one for networking and video capture (not CCTV) and then another for CCTV. At least not yet, even regular CCTV books are a rare breed, or a well kept secret.

http://www.cctvlabs.com/Books/book.html

This is my Bible.

The other books I would suggest are the "Network +" C.O.M.P.T.I.A Course

And the INET+ by the same mob.

If you are really keen you could complete a MCSE Course but that is overkill for what you need to kow, the best bet is to get gear that alows for the highest bandwidth, and make sure all Repeaters, Hubs, Nics, routers etc are all rated for the same speeds.

Seriously, that book is absolutely awesome!

I would like to second the recommendation for the CCTV Labs book, if you haven't got it you should have. I have bought at least three so far as they seem to vanish from my desk all too frequently. If anyone has a copy with Pat written inside I want it back (unless you are called Pat).

Are you looking to move alot of video ie multiple cameras streaming live across a network or is it that you want to review recorded images from a digital recorder?

I must admit i wondered how you knew so much PAT... just joking.. it is an awesome read.. but a bit heavy for the everyday user..still Valdo is a great guy and he knows more about the technology than any man I have ever met!

Thanks to all. Yes, our company is/will be handling large accounts and expects to deploy a variety of DVR systems and camera's to over 50,000 home locations and 7000 business locations. Some already have systems but will undergo some upgrade. Camera units vary between WebCams to High Resolution Panasonics units. We are researching systems that will integrate all the different DVR combinatins into a single video source. This is what I have stepped into with very little knowledge. Obviously, we aren't going to do it today. So, I have some time. My experience is primarily in the world of generalized network computing with a Microsoft base....not video surveillance systems and Unix servers. So, I'm looking to get smart.

#1 - Web Cams are not made for 24/7 Video Surveillance.

IP cameras normally are if you buy a good brand like a Panasonic or similar.

BTW, thats alot of locations to obtain for your first CCTV job! )

Should be a pro after all that!