Sign in to follow this  
PeterGibbons

Noobie wants to piecemeal a quality home camera system.

I'm really glad there's a forum with experts on this type of thing and I appreciate in advance any help you'd be willing to offer.

I would like to build a home security camera system and initial searching seems to indicate that the boxed systems in the retail stores are not very good quality. I've had a couple of wireless Panasonic BL-C230A cameras that I've been somewhat pleased with but I'd like to start building something with a much higher quality camera/picture. I'm also not wealthy so I'd like to build it a piece at a time. My thought was to start with some high quality dome cameras that just need power and Ethernet that I can put in the corners of the soffits of my house. I've found that Ftp'd images based on movement triggers are a good way to keep fairly lightweight records of activity but like many of the extra features with their cameras.

My thought was to get Panasonic WV-SW559’s. Probably get one set up, make sure I like it and it does what I want then slowly add a few more as I’m able.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Is that a good camera or are there others with equal or better image quality and just as many features for much less?

Most of the quick searching I’ve done puts this camera just north of 1K (US) which is a lot of money for me but I would much rather get a quality camera up front than throw away a bunch that don’t work then buy the quality camera.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Read up in the IP forum. And if you're investing in that type of system, build up, don't piece meal. Be certain whatever software or nvr you choose will support whatever cameras you add over time. You can piece meal an analog system together, choosing almost any cameras. Not a good idea with an HD system. You have to choose and match software and hardware much more wisely. Good luck.

Shockwave199,

Thank you for the reply, pointer and advice. I appreciate it.

I'll head over to the IP forum.

My simplistic view was that I'd use the camera supplied software with a home PC (dedicated or not). I'll read some more in the IP forum and see if I can put together some more educated questions to further my effort.

Thank you again.