Ozone

New Comer with many questions

So glad I stumbled upon this forum!

I have gone through the gantlet of cheap video camera's and finally arrived to some great advice here.

I currently have a few different camera's in mind but 2 of which are the Lorex LBC6050 and the other 2 are the DigiMerge DCD210533(I believe Digimerge and Lorex are one in the same)

Now my question's are:

A) Are these camera's very good? I have looked across the web at reviews of these camera's and haven't found any negative reviews on them. Only positive ones.

B) Can I mix and match cameras to a DVR? Does the DVR have to be from the same company as the cameras, this assumes the cameras are connected with BNC connectors.

C) Im looking for an 8-channel DVR, any suggestions?

My price range for everything is around the $800 mark but could see myself adding better quality cameras in the future to capture license plates at night etc. But as of now don't have the funds to buy a $300-$400 camera that can do that. So I figure if I get an 8-channel DVR I can always add better quality cameras at a later date.

Hope this wasn't too long in terms of my first post but willing to learn and make a small investment into what I think could be a new hobby for me.

Thanks,

Owen

Looks at a few of these videos and see if the quality is adequate for your needs. Individually they seem expensive for what they are.

You can mix and match analog BNC cameras on an analog DVR with no worries. Some cameras have on-screen menus that run from a 5 point joystick in the camera rather than relying completely on the controls in the dvr.

Check out shockwave199's setup and see if you like his videos any better than the Lorex stuff.

I don't really have a recommendation for a good analog dvr. My Lorex ECO 8ch sucks for saved video quality but isn't bad for live viewing. I'm not impressed with saved video on the higher end non-ECO Lorex either. Some folks seem to like the higher end QSee quality. The full D1 Dahua analogs seem to be popular as well. I've done enough fiddling with analog to get fed up with saved image quality though and I'm migrating to IP cameras with a computer for NVR. When all is said and done, for me anyway, unless I want something to just watch the kids play in the yard I need a good face shot or a plate to show the police. Analog has been a frustration in that regard so I'm (very?) slowly adding to my collection of IP cams. Better money spent in the long run I think. Why spend significant money on a "good" analog DVR with comparatively mediocre saved video quality that could be spent on IP cams that have "excellent" same-as-live saved video quality when I've already got a computer to run the IP stuff? At $135 each for Dahua 1.3mp bullets direct from China they may have their flaws, but live and ESPECIALLY saved video quality is way ahead of my $135 CNBs. I got a good deal on some Axis P3364-VE cams for now, and will add more in the future. There are some new Dahuas being released right around now that I'd prefer over the current crop so I'm waiting a bit to see which ones I'll add to my stable. That's if I don't find more good deals on Axis cams so I can keep everything within one brand at home. They're much better cameras than Dahuas.

I've checked quite a few analog cams and for a cheap all-rounder with good low-light capabilities I went with CNB VCM-24VF vandal domes. No built-in IR (external illuminators are much better for eliminating false positives for bugs, webs, fog, etc) but works well with either 850 or 940nm illuminators. $135 for the CNB and it's a much more versatile camera than that Lorex. If you don't need IR at all in your location (quite possible if you have motion or always-on night lighting) then you're set. If not then throw in a $40 850nm illuminator and you'll be better off than the Lorex even in pitch blackness for less money.

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe I posted in the wrong section when I should have posted in the "General CCTV Discussions - Residential", maybe it could be moved?

I am having a look now at the various models and got a quote for the Dahua DH-IPC-HFW2100 for $160, is this a bit high or right around the right price range?

So from what I gather most home systems,which are lower quality picture, are analog while IP produce a higher quality picture. I understand I run an RJ-45 cable from the camera, but don't exactly know what device is supposed to record the video so I can watch it later.

In my ideal world I would like to be able to record the content, play it back later on if needed, and view the live feed on my ipad.

I currently have a computer that is running 24/7 and has a lot of power to it. Could I connect the 4 different camera's to my computer some how? I also have a lot of space on the computer(3TB) so wouldnt have to worry about that.

My last question(probably not going to be the last ), is I want to be able to record a LP on the video. I want to know if the camera I noted above would be able to capture a LP of a car going roughly 25miles per hour(raised cross walk).

210280_1.jpg

210280_2.jpg

I got the measurements using my ultralyte LRB(its a police laser gun that determines speeds and distances, and no, im not a cop.)

If not what camera would you suggest that would be in a respectable price range?