whysman

need help with remote target viewing system! reward offered!

This is what I am trying to accomplish:

A remote PTZ camera (Axis 5013) that I can use to view and remotely control the pan tilt zoom function from an iPad, iPhone, or mac laptop from at least 1000 yards away. I know there are several apps in the app store for the iPad/iPhone and am hoping one of these already made apps will work. The purpose of this system is to have the camera within viewing range of a long distance rifle target and to view the target on one of the devices mentioned from a distance of at least 1000 yards. Other systems I have seen have a camera, a transmitter & receiver, two batteries, and a TV. I wanted to take advantage of a device I always have with me (iPhone) as well as a device I almost always have with me (iPad). Also, only having one battery is key.

I have the Ubuqiti NSM5 but I need to figure out how to power this and the Axis via battery (this isn't a permanent installation, but rather the Axis, Ubuqiti, battery, etc... would be mounted on a camera tripod...3 hours or more of battery life would suffice), then pick up the image on the iPad/iPhone and laptop from at least 1000 yards (preferably 1300 yards). I really don't need the ability to do it on a laptop as I want it to work on the iPad/iPhone primarily, but if the solution that you propose would only work on a laptop, I would be willing to listen.

I know just enough about this stuff to think this can be done with this equipment and a POI injector or something, but as you can tell I can quite connect all the dots to get it operational and that is where I need your help.

I am offering a monetary reward if someone can help me get this working.

The NSM5's are really only designed to talk to other 5GHz gear in the Ubiquiti product line, you might be able to get it to talk properly to other standard 802.11 equipment like the Ipad/Iphones if they support the 5GHz band, by turning off the "Airmax" options in the settings, and using 20MHz bandwidth settings. However, even if you get them to connect, they probably will not work at those distances.

The problem is not the Nanostation, it can work fine at those distances, and further, but the Ipad, etc. does not have the output power or antenna gain to reach back to the Nanostation effectively.

Your best setup would be to have another NanostationM5 at the receiving side, tied to a 2.4GHz access point (a Ubiquiti PicoStationM2HP would work well, configured with Airmax off, and 20MHz channel bandwidth, to be compatible with standard consumer wireless gear).

This will require having power at the receiving side, but a cigarette lighter connection could work to power them if you have a vehicle there, or a small rechargeable battery.

You might be able to get a NanostationM2 2.4 GHz unit to talk directly to the Ipad at that distance, but I really doubt it.