Hi,

how to convert raw file from acti camera to a more common format like avi, flv...

It looks like a proprietary video format

I don't like using their archive player

thanks

I use their NVR 3.0. When you select series of events to export, it asks if you want RAW or AVI. Just about every camera company spits out video in an propriatory format on purpose so the video can't be edited and be reliable evidence in court. The tools are what they are, it's not like you will find a better tool that will convert a propriatory format from a camera company to AVI.

thank for your replies,

can I convert RAW files to AVI files automatically ?

using a script for example with input and ouput filenames as arguments ?

Can you explain your definition of "automatically"?

There are 2 possible cases as I see:

1. I want to convert the live stream into AVI, which means the conversion speed as to be as fast as recording of RAW in realtime, otherwise the accumulated time gap would be endless. Today, there is no RAW to AVI realtime converter available.

2. I want to select the content of the whole folder, containing hundreds of existing RAW files, and I want to let the Media converter convert all of them one by one automatically. That is doable with current Media Converter.

It is more the case 2, but automatically, means : Can I schedule this conversion to be done say every hour, no need to click the "convert" bouton by someone ?

I am afraid there is no such function available today.

The common usage is to keep the video data in RAW format and only export important sections into avi for evidence purposes (police investigators, insurance claims, customer disputes, lost&found, etc). The advantage of archiving RAW files is the completeness of information - it not only contains audio and video stream, but event related information - each video frame in RAW format also contains information whether the motion detection system or digital input was triggered at that given moment or not. It may be helpful for some investigations. The video that has been converted into avi no longer has that additional information.

I agree with Ando, converting every video is a waste of time and if you are in an active environment, will be slow and use up a lot of CPU cycles and hard drive bandwidth.

Sure,

I wouldl like to export regularly in avi format videos from an ACTI camera to a web page.

Because avi format is easier to use than raw, I can use some embedded player in the web page.

Not really convenient to download the proprietary player and execute it each time...

You can use NVR software like BlueIris for $40 that gives you the option of outputting in AVI format. Also has the ability to FTP the videos automatically.