luxury1

How Vital is Auto Iris?

I had someone looking at my camera confirguration and they said that the manual iris is not a good idea for outdoor use. They said as the sun goes down the image will turn black as it gets sunnier or as the sun reflects off of the snow it will white out the screen, these are typically used as an indoor camera with stabile light levels.

Do any of you expect that this will be a significant problem? I just want to have casual survelliance on my house. As long as it is good most of the time I will be fine...

(By the way, the camera was a Camclosure® Surf Mt Smk Std Res B-W EIA 2.9mm)

Any place that will have variable light, you are going to want an auto iris, particularly outdoors. Even changes in light level from afternoon to early evening will cause problems.

NO it is not:

AGC

Automatic Gain Control. A circuit for automatically controlling amplifier gain in order to maintain a constant output voltage with a varying input voltage within a predetermined range of input-to-output variation.

and

Automatic Iris Lens

A lens that automatically adjusts the amount of light reaching the imager by controlling the iris of the camera.

Also you will find this option on some CCTV cameras that are capable of accepting an Auto-Iris Lens.

Automatic Level Control (A.L.C.): A feature on Auto iris lenses (also known as the peak/average control). Adjusting this control allows the auto iris circuitry to either take bright spots more into consideration (peak), bringing out detail in bright areas, or less into consideration (average) bringing out detail in shadows.