cah027

Help newb plan HD system for home

OK I am having an issue viewing my NVR from work. I think they must lockdown ports or plugins. I use a portable firefox browser that works at home but not at work.. I am "old school" with my phone so I don't have a smart phone as an option atm.

Any suggestions anyone?

Also I think my el cheapo Airlink AR680W router is giving me issues. Any suggestions on a good router?

Also.. I am thinking about ordering more cams to max out my 8 ch NVR.. So more pics to come.

Thanks

Thanks again Kawboy

Here is the thing with work.. they use one of the oder OS's and keep very tight security. I have use Teamveiwer and LogmeIn but both stopped working from work. I think they must have that I was using it commercially. I am not sure work OS will play with my home os as far as windows remote access goes and I am not sure which ports to open on my router for that?

I will probably try the ammyy admin one and see what happens. I was looking for a new remote desktop solution so this could serve multiple purposes! Not sure i can run the emulators unless they are portable. Most installs are locked down at work. I really need a new router so that might help with some of my issues as I am now unable to remotely access my router from work.

I will give your suggestions a shot and see what I can do.. Thanks again for your help...

Your router issues are sounding more like work firewall issues than router ones. A first class home router will get blocked from work just as easily as a cheap one. It might not hurt to ask the IT department at work what their policy is on remote software, etc and get approval first rather than just try to get around everything they do. Possible loss of job or promotions might make a smartphone data plan seem cheap in comparison.

Yea.. I probably will just get a smart phone. I know what you mean about messing with works policies on remote stuff. The problem I am having specifically with my router is that I changed some the port forwarding settings and it might be conflicting with the remote access port to manage the router settings remotely.

Everytime I try to log into the router from work it wants to download a file called wan_setting.php or something like that. It wasn't doing that until I changed something. I just need to figure it out..

But I will probably just get a smart phone. It is easier and It time for me to catch up on technology as far as phones go..

Also. I am thinking about switching to a PC based system. I have a quad core Phenom II 3ghz just setting here doing nothing. So I might get the 16 port POE switch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181164

I want to get a dahua PTZ and mount it on a 10' pole at the top of my chimney and or some of the 2.0 mp variable focus bullet dahuas (maybe 2) I really want an overview of the entire front and back of the house. I might get one of the 2mp domes without ir for the front to cover the drive and move the one I have elsewhere. I think the street light would be enough light. Most of the time the cam I have out there now doesn't even switch the ir on..

Ok I have another newbie request. I am still trying to get my system configured. Right now I just have it set to manually record all the time. only saves a few days before it fills up.

I've tried setting the schedule to MD and Alarm but for some reason it drops the 2 front cams and doesn't record even when the red record symbol comes on. I have since reset back to factory defaults.

I also can't get the NVR to use the UPnP feature with my router. When I set the router to enable UPnP, I can't access it remotely.

I have the 16 port/8poe switch on order and will add at least 4 more cams. I am thinking about using my extra PC instead of or in addition to the NVR so I can do more than 8 total cams. But for now I will stick with the NVR.

Does anyone have a QC808 NVR with a setting export file they can send me ?

Thanks

Ok now I am at the point were I am choosing my next 4 cameras and their placement. I am going with 2mp cams. Probably the 3200S dahua model. I might get the 3200C (large bullet) if needed.

I just ordered 3) 3.6mm Mega lenses to get a wider angle on a few of them if needed.

I want to swap out the cam that is currently looking across my back door and shed area with a 3200S with a 3.6mm lens. I will move the 1.3mp cam from there to a dedicated shed point straight across from it. I might change the lens to a 3.6mm but will see what it looks like first.

I might move the back window cam to look out from the house instead of looking into the windows. I will change this lens to 3.6mm

I like the 6mm lens on the driveway cam but I will replace it with a 2mp 6mm 3200S and move that cam indoors. I want 2 cams in the house. Probably change it to a 3.6mm for all indoor cams.

I will replace the 1.3mp cam on the left side of my house that is covering the front door with a 2mp but I am not sure if I should stay with a 6mm or go with a 3.6mm?

So far that leaves me with 3 cams in the back, 2 in the front, and 2 inside the house. I have one more to place.

I am considering, forgoing my NVR and using bule iris on a PC I have so I can use more than 8 cams. This would give me more options. Although, I wouldn't be too upset if I didn't have any indoor cams. I really want an overall view of the front and back of the house. I am considering "going all out" and getting a 2mp PTZ to patrol the entire property. Please note that I will be moving in a year or two to a much larger property. So I will have better use of such a camera. I might just put 2 cams up on the chimney (One on each side) to cover the overviews.