nicksti

IP Camera system without fixed PC

A while back I did a home setup using the Logitech Alert system which had the capability of recording to a memory card without a PC connected. Then a PC could be used to review the recordings (or the memory card could be taken out).

I need a suggestion for an IP camera which will record to a built in SD card and allow the user to plug a computer in and review the recordings. I see Geovision MDF has storage facilities but does it work like this?

There are a few models that can work without a PC or storage device to some extent. The functionality and available features vary per camera.

Low end look at: (300-700$) basic image/video directory storage

Geovision

Brickcom

Grandstream

Mid-High end (600-1300$ Range) Full feature SD recording and management

Mobotix - Any Model

Axis - Camera Companion Models

Axis models that work with Axis Camera Companion have internal SD cards and can also save to NAS if you want, all without a computer supervising things. You can, for example, save a continuous recording to one and motion events to the other for extra security. 64 gig SD cards supported on my P3364VE.

The Mobotix models allow you to record to SD or directly to a NAS, network share folder, or FTP. This is one of the main selling points to the Mobotix cameras, as it places the NVR essentialy in the camera. PM me if you have any in depth questions and glad to help.

Another option is a Axis or IQI camera running Exacq on the camera and recording to a SD or NAS. Much easier to use and manage then Mobotix's software or web interface. Mobotix makes a great camera but their software is not very user friendly.

Samsung ip cameras

It's working but... You must stop recordings on sd card ( www access to camera) and than power off camera and take sd card. Play recordings PC windows 7/xp with SD Player from Samsung.

Bosch ip cameras

With firmware 5.52 and 5.60 it is not working with BVC 1.4 SR1 (Export Player) . I'm not test fw 5.70 play recordings only from sd card. Cameras with fw 5.70 have Dropbox export and now it's working ok. You must set up motion detection or trigger in camera and than You can download video recordings from Dropbox at the home and play on PC.