Ninety

Using Scotch locks with CCTV??

Hi All,

So I have a question about using scotch locks.

Do you use them or see any problem using them to connect the power from cat 5 to a pigtail that plugs into camera power plug?

Secondly, Is there any problem using them to splice into the video feed mid run in order to minimize the number of Cat 5 runs back to the DVR?

ex. Home runs from the cameras to the PSU, then 4 cameras back on each cat 5 run to the dvr.

Is there an advantage to using a punch down block vs. scotch locks.. other then cleanliness?

Thank you.

It will work on the power and video if you are using baluns but on the video you are creating another connection which is a potential point of failure. If you home run you can upgrade to IP without pulling new wire. How much are you going to save by not home running the wire? With home runs you only have two connections.

Thank you for the reply. I know it's another potential failure point.. I just wanted to know if there was any reason not to use them.. IE causing some sort of interference or impedance mis match. The reason for doing it is to keep the amount of wires being ran from power supply to dvr, when the PS is located in a separate location. Or to extend a run.

A few points - to start with scotch locks are designed for solid core cable which your power cable SHOULDN"T be. The next point that any disruption of the cable twist WILL result in the common mode rejection properties to degrade. The question will be how much degradation is acceptable. IN THEORY you can disrupt the twist by 10% of the wavelength of the fundamental signal without too much ill effect. All good in theory hey!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

As far as the power feed being stranded.. isn't it acceptable industry standard to run power over cat5/cat6 ? I know that optimally you would want to run dedicated power runs in 24ac.

I was worried about the untwisting of the wire and degradation of the signal. I worked in the Cable industry for a number of years so I understand the concept of attenuation and insertion loss.. this I would think would be similar to that.

Its not so much a cost saving issue as it is a wire management issue.. Thank you for your response.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

As far as the power feed being stranded.. isn't it acceptable industry standard to run power over cat5/cat6 ? I know that optimally you would want to run dedicated power runs in 24ac.

I was worried about the untwisting of the wire and degradation of the signal. I worked in the Cable industry for a number of years so I understand the concept of attenuation and insertion loss.. this I would think would be similar to that.

Its not so much a cost saving issue as it is a wire management issue.. Thank you for your response.

It's not so much an industry standard as a personal preference. I tend to dislike the idea. If your camera pigtail is solid core then I have no issues with scotchlocks but it won't be , it'll be stranded and therein lies the problem.

As to the performance of your cabling approach I would be ensuring the twist orientation of the camera cables and the DVR cable does not reverse where they join. Other than that it will probably come down to run distance and noise environment. If I join ANY cable I solder , sleeve and tape.

Nice tip on keeping the twist the same way... Never paid much attention to that.. Thanks for the input.. Soldiering is a great idea.. not to hard to do and makes for a 100% connection...