Can anyone think of a reason I should purchase the Dahua over the Gadspot? They are both the same price and I am leaning toward the Gadspot. I have seen a review of the Dahua 1.3mp mini dome and I am worried it can not handle the winter sun and shadows. I can not find a review of the Gadspot. I want to replace the 700TV Line CCTV cameras at my front and rear door with one of these.

Gadspot GS9214DE 1.3 Megapixels Outdoor Dome IP Camera, 3-9mm

http://www.gadspot.com/p-439-gs9214de.aspx

Dahua IPC-HDW2100 1.3Megapixel HD Network IR Mini Dome Camera

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw2100-195.html

Thanks for any advice!

Here are a few key questions when looking at brands:

- Are they supported by the software you want to use?

- Do they publish the strings you need to get the streams, in case of software that supports generic streams? The HTTP and RTSP strings are both pretty critical.

- What's the technical support like? Do they have good resources on their website, especially multiple versions of firmware? Are they responsive to questions and problems?

- Are they popular, such that you have other options for support, like forums?

Dahua has terrible support, and firmware is mostly available through your vendor or forum friends; official firmware sources are nearly non-existent for many of us. I didn't see any firmware for download on Gadspot's site, but I didn't look too hard.

I know Gadspot's been around a while, but I rarely buy anything that I can't find some reviews on.

Max makes good points. Another one is that cheap IR dome cameras tend to have problems with light reflected back from the dome into the lens. It'd be even trickier to avoid that with a varifocal lens. The Dahua avoids that problem completely by not having a dome cover. I'm not saying that the Gadspot has problems but I'd be happily surprised if it didn't have at least SOME internal reflection. If it has either no or minimal reflection then it's a very good deal. The varifocal feature in a cam at that price point is very nice.

I just got off the chatline with them and asked about software and firmware support. The only third party software the chat guy would mention by name that worked was Blue Iris. Firmware updates are available but only by customer request and then they'll send it via email or by download link. They don't announce when new updates are available. Returns for non-defective product are available for 30 days with a 20% restocking fee.

If I were doing MP cams I'd give them a spin. All eight of my analog cams from them have been rock solid through it all. I'd certainly give them a shot. Apparently they also include their own 64 channel CMS software as well. They should publish more about it. If it's as good or maybe better than other software such as BI, they should be letting people know about it.

Thank you so much for your awesome replies!!!!

Very valid points you all brought up. I too don't like to buy things without seeing reviews. At this price range I am not looking for the support/firmware option but I would like a nice picture and ok to decent performance.

Kawboy, you do have a good idea. I suppose I could give back to the community by reviewing the Gadspot. I'll let you all know what option I finally decide on.

Just wanted to let you know that Gadspot offers 24hrs (M-F) online live-chat in case you have any question or need support.

Good luck on your shopping optikillusion!