Sign in to follow this  
PM5K

Question About Metal Buildings

It seems generally speaking most cameras have a hard time with direct installation on metal buildings, at least in my experience and what I've read.

I've heard a balum can help, but the one I tried made no difference. I do have one camera however that works fine connected directly to a metal building. The setup is the same as every other camera, so it must be something about this camera specifically. Any idea as to why it works on the metal building and others do not, and how I could look out for similar cameras?

Right now what we do is put pressure treated wood between the building and camera, but that's not always ideal.

TIA.

What you need to add is a ground loop isolator not a balun, this will help with the distortion, I have also heard adding a small piece of plywood to the building then adding your camera helps to.

Metal buildings will be earthed and are therefore one of the main culprits for causing earth loops. That is of course for cameras that share the electronics with the metal camera casing. There are MANY cameras whose metal casing is insulated from the electronics so these will not be an issue.