Sign in to follow this  
Point38

Surveillance/CCTV Info, Help Needed

Hello everybody!

I have a huge interest in security systems and willing to learn as much as possible. If anybody could explain me more about how and where to learn such thing would be great. I've tried to google for CCTV courses and couldn't find anything except this: http://www.esaweb.org/ in California. What do I need to get a job in this field and how do you call a professional/position who does this type of job so that I know what to type in search field? Just don't know where to start...

Like anything , there are both practical & theory elements that are required. You won't learn your way around a building for cabling purposes from a book. You need to get in and do it. Similarly you won't learn much electronic or electrical AC & DC theory on the job, you need to hit the books. Like all skills you will get better with effort , application and learning.

Try for and entry level job pulling cable you will soon see how a network is constructed and you will probably be exposed to IP cameras wireless access points and anything else that runs on ethernet these days. I never have run into a boss who won't answer questions or show you stuff if you want to learn.