Sign in to follow this  
cgcmgr

Which Design Would Be Optimal?

Hi All,

I'm having a power issue with my PoE run of 300' to a camera. I have included a hand drawn picture so you can follow along with My current setup is in the second figure (one on the bottom). I have two 55V 30W midspans sending power over the same 300' Cat-6 cable. One midspan sends power over pairs 1&2 and 3&6 while the other sends power over pairs 4&5 and 7&8. I have built two special Y-cables so that this works correctly. On the other end the Cat-6 cable splits again and goes into two 12V 30W PoE Splitters. The splitters then power up my 14.5W (max) Axis 215PTZ camera and my 15W IR Illuminator. The camera works just fine, the IR illuminator cycles on and off constantly (as if it's not getting enough power). My initial thought was that the run of 300' is causing a voltage and wattage drop so there is not enough power to power the IR correctly. I guess I should test to see what kind of power is coming out of each PoE Splitter to make sure.

I thought that if I changed my configuration to the top drawing and sent more power down the line using a 55V 60W midspan, the voltage and wattage drop would be less. I would then split the power coming out of one 12V 30W PoE Splitter to power my 14.5W camera and 15W IR illuminator. This would hopefully allow both devices to get the needed power to operate correctly.

Any suggestions or comments? Would one be better than the other?

EDIT - I don't see my diagram. Can anyone tell me how to insert a picture?

Thanks,

Chris