SammieT

Infrared Detectors

I'm looking for suggestions for an adjustable infrared (motion?) detector for the back of my shed.

The situation is that my shed backs up to an alley that is shared by several neighbors. The area behind my shed is sheltered from view so undesirables like to use the area for (insert criminal activity here). I don't want to install a light back there because I don't want to create more of a gathering point for delinquents. The light would not deter activity because the area is not really visible to anyone unless you drive down the alley. What I want is a way to know when someone is back there. I do have a camera installed but I would like to be able to know when to monitor activity so if there is something going on that I should be aware of I don't just find out after the fact. I was thinking of an infrared detector that would be adjustable as far as range, size of object, duration of objects presence, etc. I don't want it going off if a cat walks by or if it's just a passing car. I would want it to alert me if the car stops and parks or there is loitering. Looking for something discreet.

I've tried a couple of those wireless "driveway alert" toys that didn't even have the necessary range to accomplish anything. I know wireless is generally regarded as crap so I'm perfectly willing to run some wires. I hope I made this understandable. Is there anything available for something like this?

Hello SammieT, you probably need an outdoor PIR with some range and pet immunity. There are some in the popular DSC range such as the LX and VX series outdoor PIRs with ranges up to 80M, and then there is the Optex RedWall product range which I think have a better range of products. Check out this link:

http://www.optexamerica.com/indexes/gen_index.cfm?class=outdoorpir