Sign in to follow this  
IceyU

Is this a camera? Can I install a camera into a light post?

I've lived in my house for over 10 years and only recently noticed the unusual black dome/protrusion in the light post out front. Does the little black thing at the top look like a camera? Or is it just a light sensor?

214312_1.jpg

After some break-ins in the neighborhood, I actually got interested in installing a security camera, but a not-so-obvious one. I was thinking of converting this light post into a wifi camera by using a light-bulb-to-power-outlet converter for the power source inside of it, and just connecting a dropcam (https://www.dropcam.com/) inside that would use my home's wifi network. The problem obviously is the white non-transparent casing. Is there any night-vision-friendly casing replacement I can use?

If all else fails, are there any cameras out there that would accomplish what I'm trying to do? Meaning, wifi-enabled, and powered by a light-socket-conversion while still being hidden from view by a dome similar to what's already there.

Looks pretty cool, but not really what I had in mind. Do you know whether these kind of ethernet IP cameras work decently over a network-over-powerlines system? Not sure if the network-over-powerlines concept works when you mod a light socket to be a power source.

I need the camera to be wifi enabled so I don't have to do any wiring, I already experimented with a cheap ZMODO camera/dvr system and the features/hassle just suck, and not being a professional means the wires are kinda bad looking (if I have to do a wired system, I would totally hire a professional).

I guess besides the "does that black thing look like it could be a camera" question, where can I buy a dome? Something that hides a camera inside, but sees from within and is night-vision friendly. Or is that a proprietary technology that is only sold with an actual dome camera?

If you put all of your requirements together to make a single solution your choices are very limited, if you break down the requirements you have more options.

Wifi: Any IP camera can be made wireless if you add your own wifi radio. There are way less choices for IP cameras with wifi built in that go outside.

Covert: There are limited choices in covert IP cams you have more choices by modding a non covert camera into your own hidden enclosure.

Low Light: Many IP cams (not just domes) are available with IR lighting but many of these will not be covert as they have a red glow that will be seen when looking at the camera. There are LEDs that are high enough wavelength that they will not be visible but may need to be added separate like with an illuminator.

Network over power lines can depend on the wiring at the panel, outlets that are on the same leg usually work well together. Getting rid of the light switch would have no effect on this.