HiddenMountain

Long shot... Bullet proof?

Out here in the boonies, we have some good old boys that like to shoot things. They are basically vandals with rifles.

My question is, is there a bullet proof housing available for a reasonable price? It would be awesome to not only catch the idiots shooting, but to be able to keep recording as they reload!

I think a better solution would be to purchase defective cameras on this forum for cheap and place those in obvious locations, and use covert cameras to capture the act of vandalism.

Best,

Christopher

Birdshot proof from 50 yards or .30-06 from 10? Good luck on that last one. I'm with cglaeser on this one. They can't hurt what they can't see. Even regular vandal-proof domes are just aluminum with a plastic cover. If they're shooting them then I'd start placing decoys AWAY from the cabin with well hidden ones closer. Mix in some game cams maybe. I've never priced them, but there are gunshot detectors too, but probably aren't feasible for your use. DNR uses them around here to catch jackers shooting at night. PIRs hooked to a cell-enabled router plugged into the dvr for email alerts might help. I can't remember if you have cell service there but I know you used to have a power problem. Not sure what you put in for batteries/panels/whatever, but solar panels aren't bulletproof either.

Mobotix do one that's described as handgun bullet proof

http://www.a1securitycameras.com/mobotix-mx-v12m-sec-n22-n22.html

I don't usually advocate armed response (it's not a legal option in the UK) but perhaps get yourself a bigger rifle? With infra-red / night vision sights?

Dang... That's not a Costco brand there eh? And, as for the armed response, I tend to agree. All shooting back does is escalate the situation. Now, if they were coming into the house uninvited, that's another story.

Birdshot proof from 50 yards or .30-06 from 10? Good luck on that last one. I'm with cglaeser on this one. They can't hurt what they can't see. Even regular vandal-proof domes are just aluminum with a plastic cover. If they're shooting them then I'd start placing decoys AWAY from the cabin with well hidden ones closer. Mix in some game cams maybe. I've never priced them, but there are gunshot detectors too, but probably aren't feasible for your use. DNR uses them around here to catch jackers shooting at night. PIRs hooked to a cell-enabled router plugged into the dvr for email alerts might help. I can't remember if you have cell service there but I know you used to have a power problem. Not sure what you put in for batteries/panels/whatever, but solar panels aren't bulletproof either.

I tend to agree, a bunch of dummy cams in the trees would give them something to plink at, while catching them on the covert cam doing it.I already have a camo cam down there, so adding a few dummies would be a good distraction.

Thanks for the input guys...

Just wondering, but are you posted "No Trespassing" and "No Hunting" with red or yellow dots up as well? That doesn't keep them ALL out, but it certainly helps keep out a percentage of the more-or-less law-abiding hunters and even some of them are tempted to shoot stuff when they're bored. "Video Surveillance" signs in strategic places might help, too. It's certainly a step up from the regular "No Hunting" warnings that a certain crowd ignores. If I was walking up a country road after passing "No Trespassing" and then saw "Video Surveillance" I'd rethink my decision to keep going.

get yourself a PTZ. a housing type, not a dome.

and attatch a shotgun to it with a remote trigger

This thought has crossed my mind... haha

We have "Private Drive" and "No Hunting" signs posted, as well as "This Area Under Video Surveillance" at the gate. It hasn't sounded like an day at the shooting range yet this year, but then, the season has only just started.

I was thinking that a steel housing with some 1" thick tempered glass would be available somewhere... Maybe it's time to get inventive...

Instead of "No Hunting" why not use reverse psychology and put up "Danger - Shooting In Progress - Obtain Permission Before Proceeding" signs.

Instead of "No Hunting" why not use reverse psychology and put up "Danger - Shooting In Progress - Obtain Permission Before Proceeding" signs.

hey, that's not a bad idea... " title="Applause" />