blake

Trying to better understand ip camera setup...

Okay so i'm interested in the Gadspot GS9214DE 1.3 Megapixel outdoor dome cameras.The specs say that they have built in 802.3af compliant poe. Right now my network consist of my cable modem and a Netgear 5 port (1 Wan,4 Lan) gigabit wireless router.I want to run four of these cameras on a Dahua 3204 NVR. So am i correct in thinking is that all i need is the 4 cameras,and the NVR? Plug the 4 cameras into the NVR then run a cat5 line from NVR to my router?

Alright cool.I was gonna go analog,but for the price of these cameras and the NVR i couldn't resist going ip!

Also, I never like IR in dome cameras. If a bullet is okay too, I would suggest the GS9212E. I think you'll have a much better picture, with no IR glare and possible fog in the dome over time.

Thanks Shockwave. My only problem with their bullets is that they're huge. I like the domes because i'll be mounting them under the eave.What i'm gonna do is order one ans see how it performes before i order more. I also looked at the Dahua HDW2100, but i've read bad reviews about their customer service and support..

How much exterior light will you have at each location? I would much sooner provide sufficient light, and then get a dome without IR. And it will cut down on spiders and webs all over the thing too. Nothing worse than spending money on an MP camera, only to blow hard drive space on webs waving about in front of your dome. You could also think about a dome without IR but IR sensitive, and provide the IR from a separate fixture. I would not start to move into expensive MP gear only to go backwards with IR in the cameras- especially a dome. You're not gonna be happy. Example-

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1010

At each camera location i have exterior lighting.Front door cam has a light fixture on the opposite side of the front door,driveway cam has two garage door fixtures( one on each side of garage door),side cam has light fixture over side door and backyard camera has light fixture on opposite side of back door that light up most of backyard.So i don't need ir at all really.

So i can either disable ir or try to fine similar priced outdoor dome cameras with no ir.

If you can turn off the IR from the camera web interface, sure- do that. But if you have good light at each location, it's a pretty good bet it'll be plenty to make a MP camera happy.

I really like the design of the Dahua camera, but the after support is what bothers me.

I really like the design of the Dahua camera, but the after support is what bothers me.

Buy from a good retailer. You mentioned a dahua nvr- is that not the same issue?

Buy from a good retailer. You mentioned a dahua nvr- is that not the same issue?

Yeah i guess you're right. I planned on getting everything from Empire Security Cameras..

You can't disable the IR on the Dahua 2100 without unplugging the IR board (which is easy to do), and their IR is pretty strong. I get a storm of dust motes after I walk by the camera at night, though my NVR motion detect is set to ignore them.

Running external IR, even close to the camera, will give better results in terms of dust, fog, rain, spider webs, etc. They'll still be there, but the IR won't be lighting them up right in front of the camera.

Rethinking my layout, i've decided to go with the Dahua IPC-HFW2100. I can get them from a reliable retailer with great after sell support and warranty.They fit my bill and features that i need.Now i need to find a reliable poe switch.Any recommendations for a reliable 8-port (4 poe) unmanaged poe switch? I plan on leaving the switch up in the vented attic and just run one cat5e run down to my router.

Auch, sorry!

Then keep in mind that DAHUA's cams have implemented IEE802.3af so you should use a switch that supports this or the earlier protocol. PoE injectors "might" work, but i would not rely on them.

I found the Trendnet TPE-S44 on New Egg for 55.00, and the ZyXel ES1100-8P for 67.00. The ZyXel seems to be the better of the two..

I would go for a D-LINK, TP-LINK or some other devices that are a little bit high... Trendnet it's kind of common...

If you're only going to use the switch for cameras, I'd say there is no need to go gig.

I have the ZyXel ES1100-8P running 4 Dahua PoE cameras and it works great. I chose that one over its cheaper (and sometimes more expensive) rivals because its power supply is built in to the unit. Has no issues delivering power to all 4 ports.

Plus ZyXel has great support. I used to install their larger rack mount switches in data centers over Cisco/HP.

The Zyxel units are among the most popular for inexpensive POE switches.

If you ever plan on using the other 4 ports for anything besides cameras, gigabit will give you more flexibility there. I always get a gigabit uplink, at least.