blake

Trying to better understand ip camera setup...

Thanks GMaster. The Dahua HFW2100 come poe ready and i'm going to just add a switch and be done with it.Less pieces to fail.I like the one hub idea.The two cameras i like are the Dahua HFW2100 and the Empire Security Cameras ESC-1 IP which looks to me like the Samsung SNO-5080R. Price for both is just about the same.The ESC-1 IP/Samsung 5080R has the advantage of a 2.8-12mm varifocal lense where the HFW2100 has a standard 3.6mm lense.

Today i realized i have a concern with my wireless router.Once a day i have to reset my Netgear wireless router.If i have to do this now,i would hate to have to do it once i setup my ip surveillance system.The only things connecting thru my wireless router are my laptop and Direct TV box.The router is the Netgear WNDR37AV

That does look like a sweet router.My concerns are that i just bought my netgear router and it works great!! I just have to reset it once a day and i would like to figure out why? It is a dual band 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz specifically designed for video,gaming and home theater.

You have the most recent firmware? Any time I've had a router in the past that required resetting frequently I usually just replaced it. One new one I "fixed" by reducing the number of allowable connections in my file sharing software. Too many connections would crash the router shortly after I started dloading something. Others have become flakey with age.

Firmware is the most recent.I also looked thru my settings and the ipv6 feature is disabled.Should i enable it?

A new router and having to reboot daily does NOT spell great! LOL! There's something wrong with the router. I ran into that with a three year old netgear, but that was three years of wear and tear, not new. A new router, you should be able to walk away and forget it- that's the beauty of a new router! LOL! If it has healing settings, you can schedule a daily reboot so it does it for you. And even a working router does well with a reboot schedule of some kind. But having to reboot a new router every day- I'd be returning that thing but quick.

You don't need IPv6 checked for current home use. That's just future-proofing. I'm with shockwave- daily reboots just pain old shouldn't be happening unless you're overloading a dirt cheap low-end router. Defective or inadequate, either way the answer is to replace it. I found a way around the problem I was having ages ago by limiting the number of incoming connections to the router because filesharing was more or less like a Denial of Service attack on the router, except normal but heavy use was enough to cause it to crap out and crash.

The two cameras i like are the Dahua HFW2100 and the Empire Security Cameras ESC-1 IP which looks to me like the Samsung SNO-5080R. Price for both is just about the same.The ESC-1 IP/Samsung 5080R has the advantage of a 2.8-12mm varifocal lense where the HFW2100 has a standard 3.6mm lense.

Interesting. The ESC does look very much like the Samsung, which costs quite a bit more. They even appear to use the exact same picture in some shots, and the ESC pic has a smudge right where the Samsung logo and model number used to be on the Samsung English datasheet...

http://empiresecuritycameras.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/70_1_.jpg

http://www.samsungsecurity.com/product/product_view.asp?idx=6486#FL030000

I see a few differences in the specs, which makes me wonder how similar they are:

- Different lens - 2.8-10mm (Samsung), 2.8-12mm (ESC)

- WDR - SSDR (Samsung Super Dynamic Range), nothing listed (ESC)

- 31 IR LEDs (Samsung), 42 LEDs (ESC)

- POE standard (Samsung), POE optional in spec table, but listed as standard on main page (ESC)

The ESC also lists a 5MP sensor, which doesn't make sense, though I've seen this on no-name ebay listings. Why would a manufacturer put a 5MP sensor on a 720p camera?

Almost looks like the ESC is different internals in the same housing, but hard to say without having both in hand.

Once a day my laptop will lose the wireless connection from the router as if my wireless router just quit.Even on my toolbar on the bottom right of my computer,my wireless network goes away.I reset it and all is well.I just replaced my Linkys router because it started doing the same thing.

Yeah, I saw those, and to my eyes, they look pretty similar, though the ESC doesn't appear to have the softness in daytime shadows that the Dahuas have. The night shots were different, and here's the feedback I posted on that:

When I compare the night settings, it looks like the Dahua has lower contrast compared to the ESC. This makes for a crisper image from the ISC, but tends to lose details in the shadows, which is always a trade-off. This can be adjusted on both cams with the gain and contrast controls, of course, though I find that WDR is a helpful feature for getting the most out of scenes with challenging lighting.

If you pause each when a car is in the center, just as it reaches the center column, you can see the Dahua resolves the details, like the hubcaps, better than the ESC. Does this make a difference in real life? Probably not, though there will always be times when a little more detail might win over the crispness of higher contrast.

At this point, I'm watching the 2MP WDR cams to see what shakes out. I like the HFW3200/3300 ok, but they have trouble with Blue Iris, so I'm interested in how the Swann/Hikvision 2MP bullets look, and if they actually have WDR in the Swann version.

The HFW3200C is a sweet cam,it's just out of my current budget.I returned my Netgear router and picked up a new D-Link 3000 so we'll see how this one does.