Sign in to follow this  
stanw

Looking at Foscam FI9821W and a Dropcam -- Suggestions?

I would like to get a camera in about the $150 price range with the following specs:

- 720p or higher resolution

- allows me to view on my home network or on my laptop remotely, or on my Android, iPhone or ipad using 4gLTE remotely

- has the ability to record to either my computer or directly onto an SD card

- has the ability to talk through my Android, iPhone, iPad or computer remotely and have the audio come out of the camera

- has a motion detector

- has night vision

- can sends alerts

- can be tilted/rotated remotely (ideally)

- can later be added to more cameras as parts of a larger camera network

I have been looking at the Foscam FI9821W (though I am reading lots of complaints, though I think a firmware update may have fixed some of the problems), Dropcam (though it doesn't record to an SD card and does not rotate)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Foscam or Dropcam? Any suggestions for other devices to look at?

Thanks.

Dropcam is design for people that are not technical. It connects to the cloud and you can view the camera for free or pay a fee and the cameras records to the cloud. You then connect to their website to view the camera and recordings. There's no router firewall settings you have to worry about, you don't have to record to anything in your home.

Foscam is for people that want to dip their toe into IP cameras and are OK with something that may break in a few month, has poorer image quality. They are cheap, you get what you pay for. That's been my experience and I buy them to review and turnaround and sell them used before the break.

I personally use ACTi at home, the D54 is their latest IR dome. You have to record to a PC running their free software (or someone else's software). They run around $230, $30 more you can get the 3MP version, the D55. ACTi provides a free IOS apps that works with their NVR software but there plenty of apps for smartphones from free to a few bucks.

Thanks for your response.

1. Are the quality/reliability of the Foscams really that bad?

2. I was considering the 720p Foscam. Do you know if this one has poor image quality?

3. Are the ACTi domes meant to be installed on the ceiling or can they be placed anywhere? Do they have to be connected to ethernet?

Thanks.

The reliability of Foscams varies. I had two, sold one, and the other has been going strong for several years now, albeit with many dead and dying pixels. Better to get something a little higher quality, and skip regretting that you didn't.

The reliability of Foscams varies. I had two, sold one, and the other has been going strong for several years now, albeit with many dead and dying pixels. Better to get something a little higher quality, and skip regretting that you didn't.

Can you recommend any "higher quality" ones based on my original stated criteria?

Thanks.

You pretty much have to drop the pan/tilt to get decent quality in that price range. Pan/tilt cams under $400 are generally junk.

The other issue is finding the SD card and audio in that price range. The HFW2100 is a decent cam, but no audio or SD card. There are probably no-name 720p cams out there with those features, but finding name brands from decent suppliers can be tricky.

IMO Foscam's do a LOT for the price. When I got started I bought 5 Foscams to use as a way to figure out the best camera placement and field of views and they are mostly still in use. I've been very happy with them for general purpose use of seeing if there's any activity outside. That's really all you're going to get with the cheaper cameras anyway. I haven't had a single one go bad and 2 of them are the PTZ indoor versions mounted under the eve of a roof outdoors (for over a year now). If it breaks I can easily buy another one. My outdoor-rated bullet Foscams have been performing flawlessly for over 2 years now.

The crazy thing is I just bought an ACTi e31 (1 Megapixel outdoor rated) and my outdoor-rated Foscam bullet looks BETTER! During the day the image is a tie I guess (with the ACTi being widescreen vs. standard 4:3 from the Foscam) but at night the Foscam is way better. The night image is a LOT smoother than the ACTi e31. The e31 night image is barely usable...I know it's not a strong night camera but compared to the Foscam I was at least hoping for it to be the same quality.

With that said I'm looking at upgrading my cameras to 3MP or higher ACTi cameras...my experience with the e31 hasn't stopped me from considering ACTi but I do want to get to the bottom of it before I purchase more ACTi cameras. My plan is to post comparison videos to get input/help on configuring the e31 for a better image to make sure I'm giving it a fair shot.

Based on my experience with the older non-HD version of the FI9821W, I don't think you're going to find anything that comes close to it for the price. If it were me I would buy it and if it's not acceptable only then would I consider paying more for a 'better' camera.

Did you put the latest firmware on the E31, they added controls for WDR and noise reduction.

Yes I upgraded to the latest version dated January 16. I actually tried to use the same settings you used in your E32 review with the noise reduction and WDR settings. I'll try to post video tonight but it looks nothing like the E32 you reviewed!

To the OP: I think the E and D series ACTi are worth looking into but will easily be double the Foscam prices. I just wanted to point out that the Foscams provide a lot for what you pay.

I've used both a DropCam and the Foscam fi9821w. The DropCam has better picture quality, but it ONLY works in cloud mode. You MUST continually upload video to their servers, and when you monitor video from the feed you are actually downloading from their servers rather than communicating with the camera. I had no idea this was the case when I bought the camera - I had simply thought this was an option. There are many reasons that one would not want this requirement. I'll give one purely technical reason. The camera saturated my upload capacity of my internet connection. Ouch!

Next I tried the Foscam fi9821w. The specs of the camera are excellent, for the price. I used one for 2 months, and then it went into an infinite reboot loop. It would go into its boot cycle (camera spins around), wait maybe 10 seconds, and then go into its boot cycle again. It would keep doing this until I disconnected the power. Apparently this is a known issue, and when this happens the camera is permanently unusable. Supposedly the latest firmware, v1.1.1.13, will prevent this from happening. I have bought another fi9821w and loaded this firmware, so hopefully it will not die. I've also sent the last one back to Foscam, and they have indicated that they will probably send me a replacement.

I have been getting this camera to use as a baby monitor, and they are absolutely indispensable. It is challenging to help a baby to learn to sleep through the night. When you need to check on the baby, and you do need to do this frequently AND often, going into the room is of course not helpful. So when the first foscam died, it was money well spent buying another one right away.

I am hedging my bets, and buying a third webcam. I've decided to try an older Axis 213 ptz, which I found for about $250 on eBay. If the foscam dies again, then the Axis is next.

John F

New York, NY