Q2U

Intra Frame Period

Can anyone tell me what "Intra Frame Period" is used for in my Vivotek for in my FD8136 configuration (Media > Video > Video settings for stream 1)? I running H.264.

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

Thank you! Is there a general rule of thumb, or best practices, for setting the Intra Frame rate? My choices are 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3 or 4. The default setting is 1.

I apologize for being so ignorant. I'm struggling to understand all of this stuff. I'm sure I'll get it but I hope I don't piss a lot of folks off in the process.

That really depends on what you are looking at with the camera. Pretty much means that it sends an I-frame(entire image) every 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3 or 4 seconds. A general rule of thumb is the lower that number, the better the image but the higher the bandwidth and storage costs. For fairly low activity scene a higher rate is fine, and for busy shots go a little lower until the video looks right.

That really depends on what you are looking at with the camera. Pretty much means that it sends an I-frame(entire image) every 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3 or 4 seconds. A general rule of thumb is the lower that number, the better the image but the higher the bandwidth and storage costs. For fairly low activity scene a higher rate is fine, and for busy shots go a little lower until the video looks right.

Thank you; I really appreciate this information.

Here an interesting tidbit: on my Dahua IPC-HDB3200C the "I Frame Interval" is always automatically set to twice the "Frame rate (FPS)"

Examples:

• Frame rate (FPS) = 5 > I Frame Interval = 10
  • Frame rate (FPS) = 30 > I Frame Interval = 60