spotmom

Hammer Head PTZ Dome Camera

Has anyone ever seen these cameras? They are expensive on most websites, but cheap through other sellers. Knockoffs or just too out of date?

They claim "Military Grade" With infrared LED range up to 80 meters / 263 ft.

Weatherproof design, high die-cast aluminum casing, protection grade IP66

Super shockproof, Specially suited for car surveillance

360°Continuous Rotation, Vertical angle up to 180

6 cruising tracks, each cruising track with 16 presets positions, Total128 Preset Positions

Input voltage: DC12V or AC24V

They state Picture Elements Approx, 380K Pixels (NTSC). Is that OK or bad?

Are they worth it compared to a regular PTZ?

They come without lenses, I wonder how hard they are to come by?

Here is a page I found on it http://www.pcsurveillance.net/cd56nvir-36s-432x-outdoor-16x-analog-12x-digital-ip66-shockproof-4g-ir-ptz-520tvl-0-01lux-0lux-w-ir-on/

Looks like kind of low TVL (520) for that price?

Just curious.

Yeah, there are some really great ones on my wish list, but $1500 to $4000 is a little out of my league. I have seen these Hammerheads on eBay go pretty cheap, part of me is interested, part of me is very, very leery. WHY are they so cheap??

Granted it is huge and ugly, but I could afford one. However if it is only 520TVL is the picture even worth it?

I like the Dahua, but I am not sure how that open face SD6923 would function in winter. Seems like it would be iced up all the time as snow built up in it or blew into the lens. I would have to build a wider brim for it to keep the snow off. I need a camera that can do at least 20 below for extended periods and lots of snow (I just plowed and shoveled another 18" new snow yesterday )

Well it's been through super storm sandy here, as well as our last blizzard of three feet- installed up on a pole. But it did get a little clogged from snow and the range of motion got a little stiff during the storm- but it cleared. You'd do better with a dome ptz but I wouldn't get one with IR inside, that's for sure. And that hammer head camera would probably give you trouble in heavy snow and ice too. You should be looking at only dome cameras, but avoid IR inside if you can.

Thanks. I do have an Acti TCM-7811 outside. It does do IR reflection, but I think it has a defective upper ring on the dome. I am working with them right now on getting a replacement. It has beautiful crisp pictures until I put the dome on and everything goes fuzzy. It is spotlessly clean, but there is a 1" or so area of the top of the dome that is just not real clear, almost warped looking, and it seems to be what is reflecting the light and messing up the focus.

I tried it without the lights the other night, and with all the snow it didn't do too bad. I have a separate IR light on the way to light up the area I have it looking at anyway, so I can probably leave them off. That and it soon won't get dark at night anyway.